Curious pattern on palmatum's bark

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello bonsai people, I wondered what this curious pattern on my maple's bark could be. There are patches, here and there, and they're most visible when the trunk is wet.
Any ideas? Thanks!
052EA9E8-BB0F-4629-A089-640D4B306ACB.jpeg6BA526B6-99DE-47D5-8958-A80F06537037.jpeg4B78704B-13CF-4734-B519-1834A9068E09.jpeg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lichen most likely. Not an issue... Could also be maturing bark, which also isn't an issue. I would, however, press on those areas with your finger. If they're softer than surrounding trunk, might be something going on behind those spots, like rot...

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lichen most likely. Not an issue... Could also be maturing bark, which also isn't an issue. I would, however, press on those areas with your finger. If they're softer than surrounding trunk, might be something going on behind those spots, like rot...
Totally unrelated to this post but can I just say…….I love your dog in your avatar.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was a recent thread on the same thing.

It doesn't look normal or safe to me.

I'd probably burn it, would probably find out I shouldn't have later, but fire is fun enough.

Sorce

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do all the branches and buds appear healthy -no black, irregular coloring, flexible etc.?
Yes, everything looks ok for a maple this age and in this stage of development.

i will try to brush those patches off with a soft brush and either alcool or vinegar, let's see what's what.

thank you everybody for your help 🙏🏼

Kokosunica

Seedling
Reaction score
I have something similar in a garden bloodgood. Did you try cleaning with the brush?

LeoMame

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have something similar in a garden bloodgood. Did you try cleaning with the brush?

Yeah, so I tried with a soft toothbrush and alcohol but didn't get any results. So I used a plastic brush, and with a bit of effort you can take it away. Note that if you chip it with your nails it goes away. I didn't use anything harsher than the plastic brush as the bark is thin and delicate. Maybe I can try with the green part of a sponge, which I usually use together with camellia oil to brush the bark of my satsukis.

I just scratched it a bit tho, this will be my afternoon activity. Perhaps, if it's a lichen, it will die because of the alcohol i used to rub it off, so I'll see in a few hours.

I realised I have it on another maple, a trident, so I will do the same on it.

Kokosunica

Seedling
Reaction score
That puppydawg in your avatar ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Yeah, so I tried with a soft toothbrush and alcohol but didn't get any results. So I used a plastic brush, and with a bit of effort you can take it away. Note that if you chip it with your nails it goes away. I didn't use anything harsher than the plastic brush as the bark is thin and delicate. Maybe I can try with the green part of a sponge, which I usually use together with camellia oil to brush the bark of my satsukis.

I just scratched it a bit tho, this will be my afternoon activity. Perhaps, if it's a lichen, it will die because of the alcohol i used to rub it off, so I'll see in a few hours.

Attachments

• 20220108_123949.jpg
    20220108_123949.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220108_123957.jpg
    20220108_123957.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 30

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the look of lichen. I have a few tree that have it on trunks and large branches.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B

why you want to take it off? it gives a natural appeareance to the trunk

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Lichen can sometimes grow on the outside (dead) layer of bark. They only grow on the outside, and take no water or nutrients from the tree. They are not harming the tree in any way. I actually try to get lichen to grow... but for strictly aesthetic reasons. It is usually the sign of a healthy environment...

FWIW lichen can grow on inorganic surfaces as well (like stone).

Top Bottom