damage from leafblowers

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So today marks the third time my landlords landscaper has leafblown away all the leaves surrounding my dormant bonsai and the second time he has blown over a pot. I chewed him out and we exchanged words and he threatened my life a few times and told me to move back to new york again. Things got really heated until my landlord came down and broke us up. Is there any real damage that a knocked over pot or a leafblower can do to dormant plants?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unless the pot is broken or there are broken branches on the tree I doubt there would be any impact.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
if the pot is fine, the tree should be too unless recently repotted and not wired into the pot well. Probably not worth loosing life over...

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well repeated knocking over will eventual break some roots, but they are dormant and it shouldn't do that much damage.

Are you using the leaves as insulation?

You can try placing the pots so that they are all touching. This way they are supporting each other.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there any real damage that a knocked over pot or a leafblower can do to dormant plants?

Just don't toss dude on your plants!
Toss him in the street on his pants!
Then throw the leaf blower at him!

Lol! Happy holidays!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Pick up some burlap, pile the leaves back the way you want them, then lay a layer of burlap over the leaves. Use cheap aluminum tent stakes to pin the burlap to the ground so the air from the leaf blower can't lift the burlap or the leaves underneath.

Burlap is a coarse weave, let's rain through, breathes well. It is neutral in color, should not offend the landlord.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unless the pot is broken or there are broken branches on the tree I doubt there would be any impact.
pot knocked over with boon mix sprayed all over yard, blew the moss off two other bonsai, he later told me if i keep living there he is going to kill all my bonsai

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
pot knocked over with boon mix sprayed all over yard, blew the moss off two other bonsai, he later told me if i keep living there he is going to kill all my bonsai

I'd be super pissed, but still:

Y'all need to go get a beer. Making enemies with people who know where you live and what matters to you is a losing game.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, hashing things out with this guy might be a better move than waking up to your whole collection trashed. Not sure how long you've lived down here but it's not too uncommon for us southern folks to misinterpret tone into thinking a northerner is being rude when they are just talking haha. Hopefully just a misunderstanding and you can get back on the same page. I'd also 2nd Leo's advice. 😃

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Y'all need to go get a beer.

That's for real.

Or grab one of those reflector holders and throw a $20 in it for him to find.

Dude can't be THAT against a tree in a pot!

Sorce

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Give him a 6 pack and kindly ask him to becareful around the trees? That would work, I've paid plenty of people with a 6 pack for helping me out some way

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Give him a 6 pack and kindly ask him to becareful around the trees? That would work, I've paid plenty of people with a 6 pack for helping me out some way
A bottle of Jack may work better. If that doesn't work then he can hide dog shit under the leaves next time around.😁

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
he later told me if i keep living there he is going to kill all my bonsai
I agree with trying to make peace....but that’s the most fucked up thing I’ve heard in a min.

This is your possessions on your property, rent or not..
Renters insurance, claim your trees at worth over $500+, get a camera...felony.

Based on that threat alone your landlord should fire that prick immediately. People can be so terrible, I’m sorry you have to put up with this nonsense.

I’d cut somebody that tried to kill my trees 🌝

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have to move, the sooner the better. This is a no-win situation. Never try to reason with a person who has established themselves as unreasonable. You have a bad landlord and he keeps bad company. Nothing like this ever gets better. If you have a lease and he refuses to break it, sue him in small claims court and cite your problems and his response.

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
If your plants are in a common area you need to find a area that’s not the landscapers responsibility to maintain.
Your landlord should be able to help you with this.
landscapers have access to every kind of plant killer available and won’t hesitate to use them I’d be a little nervous about pissing one off.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i tried that a month ago, he says he doesn't drink because he wants to be a good role model for his son. But threatening people's lives over a bonsai collection is somehow ok?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i tried that a month ago, he says he doesn't drink because he wants to be a good role model for his son. But threatening people's lives over a bonsai collection is somehow ok?
Damn might be a lost case then.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@SouthernMaple
Your next conversation should be with the landlord. Do you have garage space? maybe move the trees to your garage, if the burlap cover idea doesn't work.

Asheville, NC is a "hotbed" of bonsai activity. Perhaps you can attend the local bonsai club meetings and find somebody with space you can winter your trees with. In the mean time, I suggest a move. Obviously, unless you can get your landlord to change landscapers, your current location is not worth staying with.

But try the local club. And remember, Arthur Joura is curator at the Asheville Botanic Garden bonsai collection. Definitely a great resource. Talk to Arthur, he might know who would be willing to board trees.

Top Bottom