deal on osmocote

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Really good point @Leo in N E Illinois .

Early last spring I spent what seemed like a year one full morning knocking around in a rabbit hole trying to ferret out the characteristics of Osmocote Plus vs Temperature over time. Then I ran into a couple of resources. This was the easiest resource to understand for me.

Perhaps @Shibui has an updated resource showing that the temperature doesnā€™t affect the release of the fertilizer anymore? Iā€™m striking out.

I appreciate the heads up @hinmo24t as I use the stuff in a lot of ways on the landscape, sometimes on azaleas and often on prebonsai. Now I have 8lbs more for next spring. šŸ˜Ž

Cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Perhaps @Shibui has an updated resource showing that the temperature doesnā€™t affect the release of the fertilizer anymore?
I think it does

AND

I think plants need more NPK, the higher the temperature. Fundamentally, all enzymatic reactions proceed faster with increasing temperature, up to some limit where the rate saturates and is effectively locked at a fixed value for further increases in temperature. RuBisCo saturates at roughly 95F/35C, so that trees begin metabolizing carbon (sugars) more rapidly than it is fixed --> hence trees stop growing at these temperatures (which is very different from little or no activity that occurs at temperatures below roughly 40F/5C.

IMHO, too much Osmocote is being applied if one's trees are experiencing fertilizer burn from Osmocote when temps soar above 95F. I think @Shibui is correct that prill coats have been modified/tuned in response to the early days; tuned, not switched to zero as seems to be the overly simplistic view from which you are arguing.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree. All the literature I could locate, including Scotts own literature, supports increase in fertilizer release with increased temperature from prills.

Last night I wrote to Scotts asking for the tech sheets on the product in OPā€™s messageā€¦ Osmocote Plus ā€œsmart releaseā€ indoor outdoor fertilizer.

Hopefully there will be a response next week.
Cheers
DSD sends

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There's talk of a crop fertilizer shortage around the corner. Not sure how this would be impacted but it might be worth stocking up on these now.
5 months later and I'm glad I bought 4 bags, now the osmocote costs more than twice what it did. I was predicting a supply chain induced shortage however, not a war induced shortage.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been buying the 8 pound bags off Amazon.
July, 2018, $24.99
March, 2020, $20.99
July, 2021, $22.86
Oct, 2021, $13.00
Nov 2021, $11.00
Right now it is $28.99

Fortunately I bought up 8 bags at $13 and$11
Indicates supply and demand. Buy it in winter this year.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
glad a lot of you scored it with it was less than half the price now...
fn mad world

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've started using OP this spring. Have you had or heard any complaints of it leaving plastic pellets behind?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have heard complaints about everything. I have been happy with it for over 40 years. There are people who complain about the appearance of osmocote, but I don't much care for the tea bags and cups that others rave about. I think osmocote simply looks like another soil amendment.
The coating used today is an organic resin made from soybean oil, a good source of phosphorus and micro-nutrients.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The 8lb bags are back on sale on Amazon, they are $20 this year on sale from $34.99. I think this is as good as itā€™s gonna get this year.
šŸ‘‡
I think it is about as low as its going to get. No more $11 and $13 bags. Fortunately I have 8 unopened bags currently.

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ah I think weā€™ll see most things continue up in price. I just listened to a piece on peak sand production - not something I would have considered but give the amount of construction globally itā€™s a huge industrial commodity.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think it is hilarious how analytical this community is. The rest of the world is buying pre-grown tomatoes in May and you folks are tracking the price of the fertilizer with a 5 year look back. I approve.

How do we feel about tea bags? Any reason osmocote shouldn't go in tea bags? I was thinking maybe a table spoon for a few of my bigger trees and a tea spoon for my smaller trees.

Top Bottom