Deciduous Azaleas

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Went back to the nursery. For there were two I was trying to decide on. The one I went back for...made it to the compost bin. Was beyond dormant it seems. They let me walk in the greenhouse hospital of one's they are babying...and the azalea made it there. So I passed on it. Commented It sucked the other made compost...and seen a wegiela catch my eye. Slow waking up...had some leaves. Some scratch tests show branches not dead. Peaked my curiosity. So...they sent it home with me to cheer me up over the loss of the other one.

Has quirky factor...if it recovers. Winter was harsh...things waking then getting cold again some shrubs were a loss by it.

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I plan to install a pond in the area so most Azalea will be dug out in the spring. I hope to pot as many as I can and begin to explore the species.
There's also rhododendron, which is a larger shrub with pink flowers. I don't find these as appealing, though there's always possibility. I've never seen bonsai of either of these native species, but I'm going to try the smaller Azalea and see what can be done.
Hi Rick, how did it go with the Pacific azaleas (Rhododendron occidentale)? I would love to give this beautiful native species a try if you think it's a worthwhile endeavor.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Rick, how did it go with the Pacific azaleas (Rhododendron occidentale)? I would love to give this beautiful native species a try if you think it's a worthwhile endeavor.
Well, I had to back burner that project so I haven't dug any azaleas yet. I do think they're worthwhile and should do good in East Bay area.

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Well, I had to back burner that project so I haven't dug any azaleas yet. I do think they're worthwhile and should do good in East Bay area.
Thanks for the encouragement. Let me know if you need a hand with the pond!

I have noticed that the fairly young ones have small leaves and short internode length, so I’ll try pruning to keep them compact during the initial structure development phase, as Leo posted earlier in this thread. Watershed Nursery in Richmond is selling a ton. Their early growth is fast but then they grow really slowly, but I haven’t done the modern soils with aggressive organic fert with these yet.

This technique seems to work for native maple species like A macrophyllum that would otherwise grow long and thin. More tips would be welcomed.

Last edited:

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Gibralter deciduous posted in this newer thread started by @Leo in N E Illinois for us to learn collectivly as well.
It's grown well this season and starting to get some bronzing in the leaves. It will be my first winter with it so...

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gibraltar exburry. Woke up early as I took it to Florida with me for February. More about them in Leo's thread linked above.
IMG_20200324_114724151.jpg
Will be cutting back pretty hard after flowering this year. I may cut back on 3 of the 4 trunks to the lowest bud prior to flowering to see what happens. I got to see the pretty orange flowers last year.

Last edited:

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gibraltar exburry. Woke up early as I took it to Florida with me for February. More about them in Leo's thread linked above.
View attachment 290880
Will be cutting back pretty hard after flowering this year. I may cut back on 3 of the 4 trunks to the lowest bud prior to flowering to see what happens. I got to see the pretty orange flowers last year.

it’s a great looking bonsai. I have a golden light azalea, it’s from the northern light series. I also live in Seattle, so I will let it flower then repot and prune slightly.

Attachments

• EB0DE2D1-9E97-40A9-862B-BABBFAFD6AEE.jpeg
    EB0DE2D1-9E97-40A9-862B-BABBFAFD6AEE.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 47

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
20190420_130139[1].jpg20190420_131423[1].jpg20190603_184526[1].jpg20190921_143402[1].jpg

Exbury azalea Apr 2019 before and after, June 2019, and Sep 2019. Leaves were fairly large, but I fertilized heavily. Plan for 2020 is beginning ramification and continued root growth. I'll continue to fertilize heavily. Maybe go into a grow pot next year. I may also layer the base at some point.

Anyone with experience ground layering azalea for new roots?

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 290907View attachment 290908View attachment 290909View attachment 290910

Exbury azalea Apr 2019 before and after, June 2019, and Sep 2019. Leaves were fairly large, but I fertilized heavily. Plan for 2020 is beginning ramification and continued root growth. I'll continue to fertilize heavily. Maybe go into a grow pot next year. I may also layer the base at some point.

Anyone with experience ground layering azalea for new roots?
Man! You did a great job on that plant. Looks great. Please share the progress of it, you’re inspiring me.

Top Bottom