Defoliating Elm

Mike Flavin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello everyone!
I just purchased a chinese elm from a local nursey and due to where I live I have to keep it inside (city). So naturally the tree will defoliate (which it is doing) when I move it inside from outside. My question is when a tree defoliates (due to a change in growing location) should I keep on a regular fertilizer schedule?
image.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think this tree is alive.

Chinese elms sometimes lose a few leaves when they're moved from high light to low light situations. However, to be completely defoliated, accompanied by what look like dead twigs is not a good sign.

Do not fertilize it at all. Also moving inside drastically reduces its need for water. How have you been watering it?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's funny as hell with that lil M&M feller there smiling!

What a jerk!

Most people move trees it a outside time of year.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
"Naturally the tree will defoliate" - there is not an ounce of truth in this statement and definitely not with Chinese elms when you bring them indoors.

There is something seriously wrong when this occurs.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
This does not look good. You have no option to put it out?

Mike Flavin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I cannot put it outside, I live in the city of Chicago with no outdoor space =( i water it whenever it dries out, usually once every 2-4 days. Any ideas?

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the "soil" looks ok, are you sure the tree is still alive ?

if so i would create some kind of a mini-greenhouse to keep humidity level high for a couple of weeks to help it recover faster

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm pretty sure it's a goner. If I had to grow bonsai indoors I would look into some tropical trees. The elm is an outdoor tree. No matter what anyone tells you.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Have you thought of keeping chickens? Most would keep chickens outside but you might be able to make it work.
Ian

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I speak from experience about trying to grow trees indoors. If you want to do it, you have about 2 options: ficus or dwarf schefflera. The ficus will live, at least for a couple of years, but it really will never thrive, and you will end up with a leggy looking tree that can probably never be trained for bonsai because it's too weak.

Buy a dwarf schefflera. I have one that grows ~1 foot over the winter inside (although I admit it lives outside during the summer). The hawaiian umbrella trees are seen everywhere as houseplants because they are nearly indestructible. Even a complete idiot who has no interest in plants can keep it alive. But don't buy yours at Lowes. You can fast forward 10 years of development and buy from Fukubonsai, or another good bonsai nursery.

Your elm is dead most likely. Good luck!

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't be discouraged. I wanted to get into the hobby during undergrad living in an apartment many years ago and did the exact same thing with a Chinese elm since I wanted something that actually looked like a bonsai tree and they unfortunately are marketed by bonsai superstores as indoor trees.

I agree the best option for survivabilify is a schefflera if you can accept their shape. Otherwise a Ficus Retusa (Tigerbark) or willow leaf ficus maybe with a grow light and good circulation though they still do best outside in the summer.

I got my first bonsai at age 10. A decent juniper from a roadside stand on a vacation to Florida. Kept it outside and everything but never watered it once mulched in the winter. And that was it till undergrad. lol.

Mike Flavin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My setup is decent for solid tropical trees. My apartment is a corner unit, with my bedroom having a southeast corner with windows right next to eachother (one facing south unobstructed and one facing east unobstructed). All my trees sit on humidity trays, as well as I have a mini humidifier in my room. I have a mini fan on oscillate that creates some good circulation. I have 8 other trees here that are all thriving. The only problem plant has been my elm. But this was also my first try and a subtropical species of tree, and as we can all see it did not go so well. Ah well. Lesson learned, just stick to tropical until I move somewhere with an outdoor area! I appreciate everyones feedback!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mike, did you scratch the bark to see if there is green under it? If you are keeping trees inside full time thriving, then you should be able to at least attempt to keep chinese elm inside as well. I agree that they do best with a dormant period, but moving it inside should not kill it instantly if you know what you are doing with an inside setup from the get go. I imagine if you could simulate a dormant period for a few weeks (fridge) in the winter, you might be able to keep an elm inside. I believe I've even heard of success (although I have nothing I can reference) of keeping these inside without a dormancy period. Of course for how long I have no idea.

Basically what I'm saying is that keeping it inside for what little time you have, if the tree did not have other issues, or was not dying before you got it, did not kill the tree. Sounds like you know how to water, and the soil mix looks good. Did you repot it? I would do a scratch test and see if it is indeed dead yet. And if so, I'd get hold of the seller and try to get an exchange plant.

Mike Flavin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Update: Scratch test passed!! The trunk, as well as the main branches are all really green underneath the bark. There are officially 7 new buds on the tree already as well. My tree......is.......alive!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 24

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome.....but quick!! Throw that damn thing outside (shaded for now) It's a Tree. ;)

Top Bottom