Deodar cedar

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree had a pretty rough start but has bounced back nicely with new growth. It was reduced from about 5' down to about 18". Just looking for some opinions on where to take it next. I'm planning to remove the small coiled root you see around the trunk once it's growth is more vigourous in a couple years but until then plan to let it grow and only keep the long end growth pruned back and try to develop pads on the branches I plan to keep through pruning and needle plucking. I'd thought I'd remove the top fork of the first branch, the lower branch on the back side, and the upward branch on the left side (pic 1) and let the twiggy growth up top develop fuller. Also want to add maybe 4 to 6 inches to the top for better taper. Opinions appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0038r.jpg
    IMG_0038r.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0039r.jpg
    IMG_0039r.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 97

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Nice first branch that you can use for typical cedar shape and decent trunk (tachiagari). You can reduce the needles a bit with careful watering but it would be nice if you can graft C. brevifolia/libanii/atlantica onto it for shorter needles.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice first branch that you can use for typical cedar shape and decent trunk (tachiagari). You can reduce the needles a bit with careful watering but it would be nice if you can graft C. brevifolia/libanii/atlantica onto it for shorter needles.

I've been able to reduce the needles a fair amount on another deodar I have by needle plucking and keeping it on the dry side. It takes forever to get all the longer needles though. Don't think I want to try grafting, but its an interesting idea.

Top Bottom