Desert rose bright flowers

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking fantastic. Obviously your plant is very happy. Mine had a bit of a rough move in the Uhaul and alas, I lost a LOT of flower buds. So I'm not going to get much of a show this season. But Joy Rich opened a new and very stunning flower today. I'll post photos tomorrow when I'm not so tired. Yours is beautiful.

Paz

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've posted a few pictures of the flowers from this desert rose and the pictures almost look photoshopped because they're so bright. Thought I would post a picture and from time to time will post more as I shape it up.
Crazy bright flowers. Only has a few open right now but plenty more on the way. It's been flowering for well over a month. Trimmed it recently so it needs to grow out again to get its shape back.
These would be something simple for someone new to work on. Not really a need to wire but great to teach how to water, fertilize and clip and grow for shape plus it rewards with bright flowers.
View attachment 149913
I recently bought a dessert rose and repotted. I did some reading prior and new not to water for a week afterwards. It it has not stopped getting yellow leaves. The flowers are ok but it is losing all its leaves. It is getting morning sun.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently bought a dessert rose and repotted. I did some reading prior and new not to water for a week afterwards. It it has not stopped getting yellow leaves. The flowers are ok but it is losing all its leaves. It is getting morning sun.
I water mine daily weather I re pot or not. Sometimes twice a day. I do this to all my trees.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is wise not to water after a new adenium arrives as it will be very stressed from shipping and slow to start taking up water again. Leaves yellowing and falling off is normal when you have a major change like that. Provide as much sun and warmth (within reason) and you will likely see new leaves begin popping out soon. When you do, you can resume watering and feeding. I don't personally find it needful to hang my plants bare rooted but some do that until the new leaves are started well. If you have any trouble with yours Paz, we'll help you. As for C54fun, you are in Dallas so of course you can water yours at once after a repot. Others in cooler locations need to be a lot more careful with adeniums.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love this adenium in part because the flowers are nice and big. 3.5 to 4 inches across.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice shots and beautiful flowers as well. Mine could be doing better but it's bloody well down pouring rain here every afternoon so I'm having them out only in the morning or keeping them under lights if it's not bothering to be sunny. I don't think they are going to like it up on this mountain as well as they loved it down in Georgia heat, alas.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When...and how is a good time to cut these back?

terry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can I get some information on watering the desert rose. We repotted a couple we have and both lost their leaves after they yellowed. The roots were healthy on both trees. We were told by the nursery to water only every 3 to 4 weeks.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know they do not like a lot of water but 3 to 4 weeks seems excessive. I let the top inch of soil dry out before watering.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know they do not like a lot of water but 3 to 4 weeks seems excessive. I let the top inch of soil dry out before watering.
I water the crap out of mine. It loves it. I have very free draining soil also. I water all my trees the same. Soak the hell out of them. All of them.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine is healthy as a horse, but stubbornly refuses to flower. So I kind of hate it.:mad:

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine was about a week away from every flower opening and it got hailed on. Ripped 90% of the flower off. It has 2 flowers left now.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine was about a week away from every flower opening and it got hailed on. Ripped 90% of the flower off. It has 2 flowers left now.
At least you have 2....

Top Bottom