Deshojo Maple Development

Greenpoint Vince

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello!

I recently purchased 2 Deshojo Maples in 1 gallon pots. I should receive them in the next couple weeks. Looking for advice on how I should go ahead with their development. Planting them in the ground is not an option.

1 Best substrate or soil for development?
2 When I should replant? (I was thinking in mesh bottom planting trays) This spring or wait till next spring.
3 Best fertilizer?
4 When should I start pruning?
5 Ok to leave in partial to full sun?

Thanks in advance for taking the time.

Japanese maples are not fully sun hardy. Not sure how strong sun gets in Brooklyn but I'd start with some afternoon shade.
The best soil for development is the soil you can keep the tree growing well in. That will vary depending on your time and watering habits. Shallow trays usually require more open soil mix than deeper containers.
The best fertilizer is the one you have at the time. All fertilizers have nutrients and that's what trees need. Organic V synthetic is a human construct. The plants don't seem to know the difference but if it concerns you then use what you like the sound of.
Spring should be well under way up there by now. If the trees arrive with leaves I would defer repotting until next Spring. There's no point transplanting trees with tangled roots into grow boxes. You only end up with a thicker tree with thicker tangled roots that will be harder to rectify so do it right the first time.

When to prune depends what your aim is and where you are starting.
To bulk up trunks quick only do minimal pruning to prevent problems.
To minimise scarring and develop good branching prune regularly but be aware this will push your development timeline out by quite a few years.
To achieve a run of the mill bonsai maple pruning can start early as you probably won't be worrying about bulk, just a rounded canopy.
Be aware that while growing on, some branches will also thicken. Often they get too thick to match the trunk. In many cases you'll end up with a better tree by removing thicker branches at some point and starting branches again.

You are well into spring in Brooklyn. I would just keep the trees happy in the pots they come in until next spring and repot then.

Back
Top Bottom