Developing a large Willow Leaf Ficus

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you so much for your treads on this species. Since the start of the year I have been using them as a guide when I work on my forest and clump style willow leaf ficus, and I think the trees have improved greatly. One question, have you ever done a slab planting with this species? My forest is larger than my pot budget, but I do have a slab that would work for it.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you so much for your treads on this species. Since the start of the year I have been using them as a guide when I work on my forest and clump style willow leaf ficus, and I think the trees have improved greatly. One question, have you ever done a slab planting with this species? My forest is larger than my pot budget, but I do have a slab that would work for it.

I have not, but it is commonly done here in Houston and should be no problem for you. Glad to hear the threads gave been helpful to you.

Scott

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I 2nd the BIG THANKS for the assistance. one of my first trees was a WLF, and thankfully still have and 5 others, however, I have had winter issues as mentioned and will be using some advice learned in this thread.
Watching the change and growth from the beginning is mint! I am a conifer lover 1st, but am a big fan of WLF. I usually seem them as Sumo's or shonin, but this really makes me excited. way back when you trimmed the trunk, I was nervous, but then you changed the seating and made me a believer.
So, along with Michael P, I am going to be making a mountain landscape/Penjing with a few tomorrow. FYI, I make my own slabs and many of my pots myself, cement. I also try to sculpt with it as well. Anyway, Michael, something to think about , is making it with cement, it not as hard as you may think. So I thought I would freshen up on some info on WLF, and came across this thread, and now have re-energized passion for the WLF, might have to go get more. a few questions if I may? :
Do you take cuttings from your trees? I do, curious on any techniques you may have.
Fert. usage?
was gonna ask about repotting and then cutting back foliage, most you touched on, above, but any other tidbids would be open to learning on WLF. Sadly, the WLF and a few Bougie's are my only tropicals, lost a BRT, in march, my dumbasss put out on a 75 degree day, and woke up in a panic at 4a.m with wilted leaves....aarrrgghhh. But I started keeping my fallen trees, hopefully it will become less and less!! Someday will make a large landscape/forest of all the dead trees, would be cool I think with a crap load of moss.
Anyway, sorry for the ramblings and Be well!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you take cuttings from your trees? I do, curious on any techniques you may have.

I haven’t in a while, but it’s it’s very easy to strike cuttings from willow leaf ficus. When I’ve done it in the past, I’ve struck hardwood cuttings in a mix of perlite and peat with a bit of rooting hormone. Nothing special.

Fert. usage?

I’ve written about this elsewhere. But I use an inline fertilization system with my irrigation system which applies a dilute fertilizer mixture with every watering. Right now, twice a day at about 1/4 strength organic fertilizer. I also put fertilizer bags on the soil surface. However, I noticed the biggest difference in health and growth with the regular liquid application.

any other tidbids would be open to learning on WLF

I have a couple of other threads on them and I try and update them regularly.

Scott

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I haven’t in a while, but it’s it’s very easy to strike cuttings from willow leaf ficus. When I’ve done it in the past, I’ve struck hardwood cuttings in a mix of perlite and peat with a bit of rooting hormone. Nothing special.

I’ve written about this elsewhere. But I use an inline fertilization system with my irrigation system which applies a dilute fertilizer mixture with every watering. Right now, twice a day at about 1/4 strength organic fertilizer. I also put fertilizer bags on the soil surface. However, I noticed the biggest difference in health and growth with the regular liquid application.

I have a couple of other threads on them and I try and update them regularly.

Scott
I too, have been doing the fert. wth each water, I like it as well. I got thee idea from N. Saunders. This is my 1st season doing it and actually makes easier for me anyways. Still working on the org. on the top surface(regarding) what to use, tea bags, cheese cloth, plastic baskets, and the latest one Ive heard.... wait for it...…panty hose material. Ive actually use them for cement forms and lead me to think of trimming small sections , add fert mat. and knot each end. Anyway. Thanks for the assist, and will hunt down the other threads.
I have found cuttings do take well, also thoughts on repotting inn summer? I have heard numerous times from numerous different peeps.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I too, have been doing the fert. wth each water, I like it as well. I got thee idea from N. Saunders. This is my 1st season doing it and actually makes easier for me anyways. Still working on the org. on the top surface(regarding) what to use, tea bags, cheese cloth, plastic baskets, and the latest one Ive heard.... wait for it...…panty hose material. Ive actually use them for cement forms and lead me to think of trimming small sections , add fert mat. and knot each end. Anyway. Thanks for the assist, and will hunt down the other threads.
I have found cuttings do take well, also thoughts on repotting inn summer? I have heard numerous times from numerous different peeps.

Repot in summer during the growing season, of course. Wait until night time temps are above 60 degrees.

S

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Willow leaf up north? Be prepared to put in "overtime" @BE.REAL . Houston might as well be Mercury compared to New England!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yes, I have one.....not at @markyscott level, but a trop is still a trop!!;):(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

DSC02486.JPG

Worry about good lighting for the seven months it will be indoors.:(:eek::D:D:D:D:D

Panty hose?o_O

Slim

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, so formative to me.
Any updates on this nice tree?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for this thread, so formative to me.
Any updates on this nice tree?

Just resting in the greenhouse for the winter. I’ll try to remember to take a picture this weekend.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I decided that Al was right that it needs to be shortened. I likely won’t shorten it as much as he was thinking, but I’d like to see it shorter than it is now. I’ll think about it as I wait to see where the new growth comes in. Right now I’m thinking about an ultimate apex somewhere around the red line at in this picture.

3D300C56-E863-4AAB-BB8B-AC2CC3FD731E.jpeg

cdefoe

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
between reading this, your threads on field growing trident maples, and using the ebihara technique to develop radial root systems i feel like i've freaking leveled up. looking forward to applying this to my own ficus. thanks for passing on the wisdom, scott.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
between reading this, your threads on field growing trident maples, and using the ebihara technique to develop radial root systems i feel like i've freaking leveled up. looking forward to applying this to my own ficus. thanks for passing on the wisdom, scott.

Thank you. I’m glad you got something out of them.

S

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thank you. I’m glad you got something out of them.

S
Your threads are always very educational, and appreciated. I just have one little willow leaf, but after an entire winter of looking like a dead thing, it's thriving outside. I think it would prefer living in TX!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Your threads are always very educational, and appreciated. I just have one little willow leaf, but after an entire winter of looking like a dead thing, it's thriving outside. I think it would prefer living in TX!

I’m sure you’re right, they love it hot and sticky but mope around all winter. In our short winter I keep them in the greenhouse where they tread water until things start warming up.

S

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Following your techniques, I did serious pruning, reduction, and repotting of my forest in late May. It looks better than ever before. Right now the foliage has become very dense. Would it be good to do another thinning now, or should I wait until the weather cools off some in September? Right now our daily high temperatures are near 100 with dewpoint around 70. Night time lows are near 80.

Top Bottom