Developing a shohin Ume

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agree with thumbless. Looking good nice base. Good stuff Dave. Fun time of year for you! Repots and riding the high from that super bowl victory!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would have thought a thread graft was the most reliable way of putting new shoots on a Ume? Easier to get the cambium to match, self sustaining scion etc

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
nice ume! - I got a massive one this year. There alot of fun to work with

bonsai45

Sapling
Reaction score
@Dav4 how is this tree doing? did the thread grafts take?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
@Dav4 how is this tree doing? did the thread grafts take?
It's growing well this year and has been cut back and wired a few times. The thread graft didn't take, though... the branch just withered one day before I had even thought of beginning the separation process. I'll try to get some new pictures up shortly.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The wiring was tweaked today and the first real carving was carried out over the weekend. The cascading branch was deliberately left long to build more strength and will likely be cut back later this year. Depending on how it grows, I’m very likely to remove most of the existing apex and build a new one from the wired upper branch. Will get repotted after taking the MIL to the docs🙂
FCF40339-9A12-4A37-A610-BC89E0B7380D.jpeg38132326-AC5A-47CE-B6D8-8E7B9BEE9BA1.jpeg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sweet looking ume! I definitely would've grafted a bunch whatever cut off.😍

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Spring work done for now. The new apex needs to thicken up and the old apex needs to be carved down, but we're headed in the right direction with hopefully getting some ramification closer to the trunk. I can't lie... several branches cracked during the wiring but I'm optimistic they'll be ok.

IMG_4060.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Finished for now, new pot by Ryagaku. I’m kind of liking the new tree pot combo, though I will probably be able to get that into a smaller pot down the road.
View attachment 284213View attachment 284214View attachment 284215View attachment 284216
What soil did you use for this last repot? Last post said akadama, curious if that worked well for you or if you switched to something different. Your ume has developed very well in the last few years, nice work on the carving

Also, have you found the key to keeping lower branches strong? I have one in the grow beds that I've retained several good lower branches on, but the 6'+ extentions I've grown on the other parts of the tree have definitely slowed the lower branches.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What soil did you use for this last repot? Last post said akadama, curious if that worked well for you or if you switched to something different. Your ume has developed very well in the last few years, nice work on the carving

Also, have you found the key to keeping lower branches strong? I have one in the grow beds that I've retained several good lower branches on, but the 6'+ extentions I've grown on the other parts of the tree have definitely slowed the lower branches.
This one is in sifted Clay King, an imported mix which is essentially Akadama/Pumice/Lava and it does seem to like it... though my other ume is in a turface mix and grows like a weed in it. I suspect the key in maintaining the strength of the lower branches is by allowing them to grow while restraining the upper branches. At least, so far so good :) . Honestly, now that this one is in refinement mode and doesn't have those long extensions, I'm hopeful to maintain even strength throughout the canopy. Then, we'll be hopefully seeing a bit more ramification and some flowers.

Top Bottom