Different take on stand - modern wood and glass

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's my attempt at a new stand - modern aesthetic from wood and glass. I suspect it may be a "love-it-or-hate-it" kind of project. What do you think?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (62).jpg
    FullSizeRender (62).jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 125
  • FullSizeRender (61).jpg
    FullSizeRender (61).jpg
    188 KB · Views: 122
  • FullSizeRender (60).jpg
    FullSizeRender (60).jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 119
  • FullSizeRender (59).jpg
    FullSizeRender (59).jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 119
  • FullSizeRender (58).jpg
    FullSizeRender (58).jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 122

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool. But.....can you work the glass a little bit?
Just a little something that says, "I didn't just take two pieces of glass and propped up a piece of wood on it."
Nice idea....as long as you keep the glass clean!:p
:cool:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool. But.....can you work the glass a little bit?
Just a little something that says, "I didn't just take two pieces of glass and propped up a piece of wood on it."
Nice idea....as long as you keep the glass clean!:p
:cool:

That's pretty much what I did - took two pieces of glass, routed a groove in a nice piece of wood and propped it up. It either works or not, independent of my unsophisticated skills. I was going for clean, sharp, simple.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
clean, sharp, simple is always a good thing. I think this would work for certain bonsai/kusa but less so for something weighty. Perhaps a thin moulding on the bottom edge?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also, I think if you put the glass on the sides instead of the front and back, you'd have another variation to add to your design. Maybe even flair them out a bit for even a third variation.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
clean, sharp, simple is always a good thing. I think this would work for certain bonsai/kusa but less so for something weighty. Perhaps a thin moulding on the bottom edge?

Yes, could be problematic with a heavy tree, both visually and from a safety standpoint. The glass won't tolerate any torque. I suspect even a tiny wobble of legs with a heavy tree on it would snap the glass.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, I think if you put the glass on the sides instead of the front and back, you'd have another variation to add to your design. Maybe even flair them out a bit for even a third variation.
Yes, several variations possible. I'll have to try some...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or etch a design into the glass...

I like it though....

Definitely a great starting point for something interesting.

I feel like the frog escaped though....
Like it should be inside...lol.

Sorce

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I'd like it better if the glass were on the sides instead of front and back, but good idea for something different.

I was looking at that, but the 'legs' become more obvious or solid looking when viewed on end. I chose this to help the support 'disappear'.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or etch a design into the glass...

I like it though....

Definitely a great starting point for something interesting.

I feel like the frog escaped though....
Like it should be inside...lol.

Sorce

LOL, I'll try filling the aquarium.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
frost the glass and it'll look better - stronger anchor point. I think you can buy the frosted decal stuff at lowes or homedepot.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Negative Nelly here...It looks to me like the top of an aquarium. Beyond that, it's a little unsettling for the trees since they "float" and have no real relation with the ground below them. Wooden stands visually link the tree to the earth, which I think is an important subliminal thing for the viewer.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
they "float" and have no real relation with the ground below them.
They do seem to float. I wonder if it was frosted it would create more of a high altitude clouds/fog/mist kind of feel. Could be a fun idea to play with: putting some sort of edge routing on the wood, frosting or etching the glass, even a multi tiered shohin/mame stand.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I see what you mean @rockm. However, I kind of like the floating illusion and if you polish the edges the glass becomes even less noticeable. Less is more.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

I think Rockm and Vin get to the heart of it. Either you think the floating impression created is cool and works, or you think it suffers because it doesn't ground the trees. Frosted glass, etching, etc all serve to make the glass more noticeable and thereby create a better connection with the ground. I'll see if I can try a few other variations on this theme and post them here as well.

Top Bottom