DIY cement pots.

It is amazing what freeze thaw can do. ;) Bricks and cement turn to crumbly material in just a few years if not sealed correctly. Most rocks in nature (in colder locales) disintegrate this way more than any other form of weathering.
That sounds very serious
Never mind. I shall take some pictures of the new ones today.

Neli...imagine (blow up) the concrete with pores, water goes in then freezes. Water expands when frozen and cracks the concrete from within. Weather heats up and ice melts. Water comes in again filling a bigger hole. Freezes and the cycle continues. After a while the entire thing crumbles.

Sealing & coating helps a lot to eliminate (or reduce) where water can penetrate the concrete mass.

Cold doesn't destroy the concrete...just the expansion of water/ice.

Thank You . I did not know that...I am in Africa.
How about houses?

Yup. Water expands when it freezes. If it's in a small crack when it freezes, the crack gets bigger:p....doesn't matter if the material is clay, cement stone, etc.. That's why most people use high fired stoneware pots for bonsai. The surface of these pots should be impervious to water absorption, which in turn allows them to survive outside where temperatures fall below freezing. Lower fired pots will eventually succumb to the effects of freezing weather, and terra cotta pots generally won't last one winter.

Neli...imagine (blow up) the concrete with pores, water goes in then freezes. Water expands when frozen and cracks the concrete from within. Weather heats up and ice melts. Water comes in again filling a bigger hole. Freezes and the cycle continues. After a while the entire thing crumbles.

Sealing & coating helps a lot to eliminate (or reduce) where water can penetrate the concrete mass.

Cold doesn't destroy the concrete...just the expansion of water/ice.

Not good for houses either. Mine has actually been leaking in recent years :mad:

Yup. Water expands when it freezes. If it's in a small crack when it freezes, the crack gets bigger:p....doesn't matter if the material is clay, cement stone, etc.. That's why most people use high fired stoneware pots for bonsai. The surface of these pots should be impervious to water absorption, which in turn allows them to survive outside where temperatures fall below freezing. Lower fired pots will eventually succumb to the effects of freezing weather, and terra cotta pots generally won't last one winter.
Dont you have some stronger cement? This one is very compact and dence since the sand is very little inside...But you should be right.
This is another one: I shall post some more.
1544554_10201261149762822_655320772_n.jpg

603588_10201261149802823_1782419975_n.jpg

This one my gardener made, I just designed it and made few finishing touches.

Dont you have some stronger cement?

I believe we have the best cement available...cost however is consideration. For pots not as much (compared to structures) but as mentioned, concrete by nature is porous. If it is sealed properly it can work. However, by the time you get there, your cost may be close to a commercially high fired pot. ;)

As someone approaching the age of dirt, I wonder how the weight of a cement pot compares
to the weight of a standard? Can't pick up and walk off with two man types anymore :(

I do love the orinality and creativity that has gone into something that was personally created.:)

As someone approaching the age of dirt, I wonder how the weight of a cement pot compares
to the weight of a standard? Can't pick up and walk off with two man types anymore :(

I do love the orinality and creativity that has gone into something that was personally created.:)

Good points Dick. :) Weight, creativity/originality then add; cost, effort, longevity, aesthetics, etc. It is a balancing act. :)

Good points Dick. :) Weight, creativity/originality then add; cost, effort, longevity, aesthetics, etc. It is a balancing act. :)
For me they are fine...For others they will need to consider all that.
I dont carry pots...I just point at them...My gardeners do it...my climate is fine...and I do mostly small trees. I dont have other options...and I enjoy it.

Do your gardeners also fan you with palm fronds while you eat grapes?? :p

Yes they do.

ROFLMAO.

Kidding aside, I like to try that since it rarely go that cold here and I plan on using it on some tropical trees. Just to play around...as temporary pot for my SMALLER trees. :p

Thank You . I did not know that...I am in Africa.
How about houses?

Neli, most houses here in the U.S. are built with wood, not concrete/cement. Some have a brick/stone facade on the outside though. Areas that get winter and freezing temperatures have huge issues in the winter with our roads because of the process Dario mentioned. Any crack, crevase or pore that moisture gets into can be eroded when the water freezes. As you know, water expands when it freezes. The repeated freezing/thawing on water in these cracks/pores keeps eroding the hole over time and makes it bigger.

Water/ice is an amazing thing.

Neli, most houses here in the U.S. are built with wood, not concrete/cement. Some have a brick/stone facade on the outside though. Areas that get winter and freezing temperatures have huge issues in the winter with our roads because of the process Dario mentioned. Any crack, crevase or pore that moisture gets into can be eroded when the water freezes. As you know, water expands when it freezes. The repeated freezing/thawing on water in these cracks/pores keeps eroding the hole over time and makes it bigger.

Water/ice is an amazing thing.
Thanks! I understand the cycle...never new it is that bad on cement things...over short period of time.

Thanks! I understand the cycle...never new it is that bad on cement things...over short period of time.

Hope I didnt offend you....I do tend to be overly helpful sometimes...

Hope I didnt offend you....I do tend to be overly helpful sometimes...
You were just right...I dont see offence of any kind...just very helpful explanation of a friendly person.

Years ago I made one out of Hydraulic Cement which was both water repellant and quick drying which lasted for over 8 years with a nice Juniper in it, until my nephew "watered" my plant with Fanta orange soda and it died. I put the pot in the back of my truck and forgot about it, in the next year it became covered with asphalt and grease so I tossed it, still intact though.

ed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom