Dogwood - Cornus alba for bonsai?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does it try and sucker from the ground or is it content to stay with the one main trunk?

Prickly_pair

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very impressive Jelle! Will be interesting to see how long the bark keeps the red colour, as I thought it faded after the 1st year. It gives me hope for the cuttings I took last year 👍. Keep posting the progress please?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very impressive Jelle! Will be interesting to see how long the bark keeps the red colour, as I thought it faded after the 1st year. It gives me hope for the cuttings I took last year 👍. Keep posting the progress please?
Well.. the new leader from 2018 is still reddening up in fall, so a good number of years you will have a bit of a show!

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So cool! Loads of these in nurseries out here, always wanted to try one, but never seen someone do it. I think this tree is proof of the concept :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you think you would get faster results with a taller stamp and a bigger pot?

You mean faster than dig a stum from a garden and have a reasonably ramified tree 5 years later?
I thought that was pretty fast.

A bigger pot will get you more growth but with this species I wanted slow growth as it fattens up fast and creates long internodes. On purpuse this has been grown slowly.

Taller stump = Bigger tree = More time developing properly sized branches.

Top Bottom