Doin' the Bonsai 2 Step Tonight

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I feel your pain man, I've been doing this with several trees for the last month and it seems like I'm always adding a new one. Fortunately, this week looks like its going to stay above 45 all week and I can take a break.

My loving wife always helps out by opening doors and wrangling the dog, but shes always humming "Entrance of the Gladiators" while I move trees....

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Gotta be careful with those Maples....
As I just finished saying in another thread....Aside from my native Acer Rubrum....I'm done with maples.....so beautiful....and such a headache.
I simply cannot keep the downy mildew off my maple leaves, despite rotating different fungicides.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I dunno how Mr Valivanis and Sergio do it.....there is a special magic that to those trees as far as I'm concerned.
I have three I'm working on now. I'm going to weekly fungicide sprays, especially toward late summer/autumn, when the downy mildew comes on hard.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel your pain man, I've been doing this with several trees for the last month and it seems like I'm always adding a new one. Fortunately, this week looks like its going to stay above 45 all week and I can take a break.

My loving wife always helps out by opening doors and wrangling the dog, but shes always humming "Entrance of the Gladiators" while I move trees....

Oh dear! I'm having enough with just one week but most likely will continue for another... Perhaps we are over doin it? in my case because of the ridiculous among of rain we were having I had to use my crappy cold green house during the winter but now is very bright with day temp of 14*C/57*F to frosty nights of 2*C /35F. Some were repoted two weeks ago.
its fun (not too my next door neighbor's) if you are staying at home but not when working! :/ still much better than couch potato or daily drinking like next door people.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I haven't done the 2 step since winter of '18....been playing it as safe as I can.

But we've been in the 70's for days, and of course, as the Mid-Atlantic is want to do, gonna have 4 or 5 hours below freezing tonight.

I've been repotting some trees, still have some to go, and I moved everything out from winter storage out to the bench on Friday.

So....The Bonsai 2 Step commences.
All recently repotted trees are inside for the night....21 trees and a Kusamono!

Still need to paint and install trim....and better lighting in my tokonoma.
View attachment 290311View attachment 290312
Smells like Neem in here! Mmmmm....😜
What exactly is the two step? I kinda think I know and have surely done it but I read different things in different threads so just wanted to confirm...

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Though we were out of the woods here in the desert... weird cold snap today... going to be 35 tonight!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I dunno how Mr Valivanis and Sergio do it.....there is a special magic to those trees as far as I'm concerned.
I have three I'm working on now. I'm going to weekly fungicide sprays, especially toward late summer/autumn, when the downy mildew comes on hard.
I also don't seem to have any issues with maples here and fungus. Have you tried using a systemic yet? That's really about all I use except for prophylactic spray of Daconil if the weather is very humid and I suspect it may be an issue.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I also don't seem to have any issues with maples here and fungus. Have you tried using a systemic yet? That's really about all I use except for prophylactic spray of Daconil if the weather is very humid and I suspect it may be an issue.
Yeah, its always disgustingly humid here in the summer....

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
When you have to re-shelter your trees cus the temps get too cold..... One of the joys of spring.
So for the ones that have been outside but in a sheltered spot with some mulch over the roots is it ok to bring them on the deck. Temps forecast to remain above freezing next ten days. Lowest may get to 31F on April 5 per the forecast. They're all hardy so would that be a problem?

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't have any trees yet but I can imagine the pain of this from having grapes, roses etc. My grapes and kiwi bled this year but it shouldn't be a big deal hopefully. Rose buds kept opening and then freezing to death so I didn't even bother to prune them much this year to avoid exposing lower buds and having them wake up just to die. I just topped them a bit and will remove any dieback that happens.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So for the ones that have been outside but in a sheltered spot with some mulch over the roots is it ok to bring them on the deck. Temps forecast to remain above freezing next ten days. Lowest may get to 31F on April 5 per the forecast. They're all hardy so would that be a problem?
Basically, it can apply to anything from cold sheltered trees that are budding out early, to tropical trees that have been out on the warm days, to recently repotted trees.
In my case, its all about repotted trees.
Cant let any new root tips freeze off.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No I haven't....
I've always wanted to grow stuff that doesnt need that, in my area...
But, I'm sure that systemics are the answer.
Worth a try at any rate, Bayer is good, insecticide and fungicide, also a very though I don’t count on it to feed.

Top Bottom