Doin' the Bonsai 2 Step Tonight

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My maples woke up early. We had a week a few weeks ago with 4 days at 50 degrees F . Been two stepping ever since. Early spring in Minnesota is nice, but not for trees. Still several nights below freezing. Daytime temps between 40-50 F

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My maples woke up early. We had a week a few weeks ago with 4 days at 50 degrees F . Been two stepping ever since. Early spring in Minnesota is nice, but not for trees. Still several nights below freezing. Daytime temps between 40-50 F
Going to snow here next week later in the week. It's been stormy but super warm here, 75 for a high today.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We re getting a snow rain mix in the morning, still getting night temps in the twenties(F) this week. Tonight they stay in the greenhouse, but gonna be doing the old in out, in out of the garage the rest of the week. Scary times, my maples are leafed out pretty good

Attachments

• 2CAB5977-2754-48FB-8186-CFFF52108258.jpeg
    2CAB5977-2754-48FB-8186-CFFF52108258.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 20

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm still seeing nothing lower that 41F overnight in my 10 day forecast!
Spring is here!
All the trees are blooming around the area. Seeing new green on many already.... Even saw an early azalea blooming the other day!
Robins are out, all sorts of birds doing their thing, bees are hitting the blooming trees.
I'm still waiting for my Crape Myrtle and my American Hornbeam to wake up for repotting. Basically done with all else.....

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm still seeing nothing lower that 41F overnight in my 10 day forecast!
Lucky you.. We are off to the low twenties tomorrow. THat is, with 4 inches of growth on my japanese maples and all but the slowest trees budded out. I can't believe how much faster my bonsai have woken up than the rest of nature. Pots warm up quickly :(

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lucky you.. We are off to the low twenties tomorrow. THat is, with 4 inches of growth on my japanese maples and all but the slowest trees budded out. I can't believe how much faster my bonsai have woken up than the rest of nature. Pots warm up quickly :(
Same here! How are you keeping them safe at night?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Same here! How are you keeping them safe at night?
I have a shed to protect them from freezing & dry winds. Note: only about half of them go inside. The rest is local to my climate and should be able to deal with off spring weather,,

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ahh yes.....a nice foggy spring morning.
Been like this for days now, foggy, rainy and overcast with the sun making a brief appearance midday and then returning.
Trees don't mind for now.
I like it when it's foggy....and the whole of my visual world is only my own yard.

Attachments

• 20200329_064551.jpg
    20200329_064551.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 16

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have an underground well house, unheated. The ground level patio in my backyard is actually the roof of the well house. Access is through a door in my basement cut through the foundation. One of the advantages of a farmhouse built before municipal water was invented. A 100 year old house is otherwise a maintenance nightmare. The ground is still below 42 F. Everything is still nicely dormant. I can usually leave everything in there, fully dormant, until I see the leaves of the landscape street trees, mostly Norway maples. When the leaves of the Norway maples (Acer pseudoplatanus) are about half way unfurled, then it is time to get the trees out of the well house.

So I sit back and relax. I refuse to do the two step march.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an underground well house, unheated. The ground level patio in my backyard is actually the roof of the well house. Access is through a door in my basement cut through the foundation. One of the advantages of a farmhouse built before municipal water was invented. A 100 year old house is otherwise a maintenance nightmare. The ground is still below 42 F. Everything is still nicely dormant. I can usually leave everything in there, fully dormant, until I see the leaves of the landscape street trees, mostly Norway maples. When the leaves of the Norway maples (Acer pseudoplatanus) are about half way unfurled, then it is time to get the trees out of the well house.

So I sit back and relax. I refuse to do the two step march.
That is a sweet setup. This being my first spring with my trees, I will be prepared next year. My garage heats and cools too unpredictable

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm debating bringing in some trees tonight. Going to get around 38F here. Is that going to do any damage to fresh leaves or trees that have been repotted two weeks back? Or is it really just frost to worry about?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm debating bringing in some trees tonight. Going to get around 38F here. Is that going to do any damage to fresh leaves or trees that have been repotted two weeks back? Or is it really just frost to worry about?

Frost only ....

And that isn't always getting to the roots either.

No Worries!

I've found that once you remove "confusion" for them .....they won't start at an unsafe time.

Then, there are no questions.

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My beautyberry and one of the crapes are starting to bud out, and the crapes are newly repotted. It's supposed to get in the 30's tonight, possible frost in the "outlying areas", which is where I live. They are currently sitting right outside the garage, so moving them a few feet inside isn't that inconvenient. Better safe than sorry.

Top Bottom