Don't really like Japanese Black Pines

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
While I like them I have found them intimidating. More so than deciduous trees or junipers. However, with a good bit of reading and listening to Adair and others here, I felt confident enough to buy this one from a local club member. One day when Adair is doing one of his classes at Plant City I plan on joining in.

That one has potential. It may the angle the picture was taken from, it appears a bit top heavy.

For stability, I think I might choose a different style pot. Nanban perhaps?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
While I like them I have found them intimidating. More so than deciduous trees or junipers. However, with a good bit of reading and listening to Adair and others here, I felt confident enough to buy this one from a local club member. One day when Adair is doing one of his classes at Plant City I plan on joining in.

Looking at how that’s wired in, that may have been a Kinji tree. I don’t like the way he runs wires over the top of the roots, then has clear plastic tubing to protect the roots. That method was the state of the art 30 years ago! Did you get that from Dudley? I can show you a better way to wire trees into pots.

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
They seem to be THEE tree to have if you are a true bonsai person. To me, the foliage always seems to look too large for the tree.

Exactly the same reason I don't like them. I rarely see pines that look like believable trees. That's why I just ignore them.

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looking at how that’s wired in, that may have been a Kinji tree. I don’t like the way he runs wires over the top of the roots, then has clear plastic tubing to protect the roots. That method was the state of the art 30 years ago! Did you get that from Dudley? I can show you a better way to wire trees into pots.
I’d like to learn the proper way if you don’t mind sharing!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have half a dozen I bought from you almost exactly a year ago, and honestly, I have done nothing but grown them on. They are super healthy and I will study them well this winter.
I hve a bit of pruning to do so no knobs

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This one was in Dennis' collection. I don't know where he originally got it from. I typically don't wire it that way either.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That one has potential. It may the angle the picture was taken from, it appears a bit top heavy.

For stability, I think I might choose a different style pot. Nanban perhaps?
I am going to try to take some better pictures this weekend. After I looked at the picture I realized the angle was really bad because the tree is much nicer in person. I'm just a terrible photographer.
I agree on the pot. That is what I was thinking as well. That may be on the to do list for the spring.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My JBP respond to bonsai techniques in the worst way imaginable.
Watering turns them yellow. Not watering turns them brown.
Repotting kills them, not repotting kills them.
The cold ravages them, the summer heat does too.

Thankfully they respond the same with pruning and no pruning: overall weakness and declining health.

A true king of bonsai and I'm the court jestor.
No thanks.

I killed my last bunch this fall. No more JBP for me. But I love seeing yours and I blame my lack of liking to the pure incompatibility of me and JBP.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
My JBP respond to bonsai techniques in the worst way imaginable.
Watering turns them yellow. Not watering turns them brown.
Repotting kills them, not repotting kills them.
The cold ravages them, the summer heat does too.

Thankfully they respond the same with pruning and no pruning: overall weakness and declining health.

A true king of bonsai and I'm the court jestor.
No thanks.

I killed my last bunch this fall. No more JBP for me. But I love seeing yours and I blame my lack of liking to the pure incompatibility of me and JBP.
wow it is strange that you cannot grow JBP. Do you have succes with other pine specie ? if yes, i don't understand why you can't grow JBP

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
wow it is strange that you cannot grow JBP. Do you have succes with other pine specie ? if yes, i don't understand why you can't grow JBP
I don't understand it either. I have sylvestris, JRP, longaeva, banksiana, ponderosa, mugo, nigra, halepensis and they all do OK. JBP just isn't for me.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't understand it either. I have sylvestris, JRP, longaeva, banksiana, ponderosa, mugo, nigra, halepensis and they all do OK. JBP just isn't for me.
tbh sylvestris is more interesting than JBP to my personnal taste, because it has rough & deep bark (like the JBP) and it has subtle ramifications and small needles (like the JWP).. so for me, pinus sylvestris brings together the best characteristics of JBP (deep bark) & JWP (fine ramifs & small needles)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
tbh sylvestris is more interesting than JBP to my personnal taste, because it has rough & deep bark (like the JBP) and it has subtle ramifications and small needles (like the JWP).. so for me, pinus sylvestris brings together the best characteristics of JBP (deep bark) & JWP (fine ramifs & small needles)
Check out the italian ones, or the Norwegian/Norsk type; even more ramification and even smaller needles!
It takes a long time for good bark to form though. Especially the deep fissured stuff.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Unfortunately I can't find the thread, but I remember it very well. @markyscott help!
I think @markyscott created a thread with pictures documenting a good procedure.

Unsure. I think I remember writing about in on one thread or another. But I know that Jonas has a great article on the topic.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Check out the italian ones, or the Norwegian/Norsk type; even more ramification and even smaller needles!
It takes a long time for good bark to form though. Especially the deep fissured stuff.
I'd say the same time as JBP from my personal observation.. and the very deep bark like JBP "corticosa" you can find it sometime in the wild but you'll never have it in a pot from a young tree, because mountains weather/particular soil bring something different, impossible to reproduce in a pot

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Gulf Coast pine choices are pretty much limited to what can grow under fairly tropical conditions. In terms of imports, the ones I’m aware of that work here are Pinus thunbergii (JBP), Pinus densiflora (JRP), Pinus halepensis (Aleppo pine) and Pinus canariensis (Canary Island pine). Then there are the natives to the pineywoods of East Texas, the loblolly and shortleaf pine (a close relative of the loblolly). JBP and JRP are the only ones I’ve seen successfully adapted to bonsai culture. Ive worked with loblolly and aleppo and I know others have as well. I’d say the jury is still out, but there might be some promise there. I know one or two people that have tried without luck to grow virginia, bristlecone, ponderosa and 2 needle piñon, as well as a number of others.

- S

Top Bottom