Dormancy...it's a comforting feeling having them all tucked away

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Took advantage of the real cold to make up eight- 5 gallon buckets of water to leave out last night. This way when the warm temps come back, I can move them into the storage house in the days, and keep it chilled in there. Crust does this with his storage house, so I'm going to try it out. We are getting a few days of warmer temps after today, so I'll know soon! Got tired of making small blocks and putting them out on pots to keep things from popping.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Took advantage of the real cold to make up eight- 5 gallon buckets of water to leave out last night. This way when the warm temps come back, I can move them into the storage house in the days, and keep it chilled in there. Crust does this with his storage house, so I'm going to try it out. We are getting a few days of warmer temps after today, so I'll know soon! Got tired of making small blocks and putting them out on pots to keep things from popping.

Let me know how it works...our nights typically gets cooler than forecast. So windows open at night,then closed in morning. (Closing them around 5am...while temps still cool) Only my lilac is swelling buds. Which is one I still am uncertain it will ever become a bonsai.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If I recall, the cold greenhouses at NEBG have 40 gal plastic trash cans filled with water along the perimeter. The water acts like a heat or cold sink, keeping the air cooler during the day and warmer during the night...cheap, simple, and effective.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I recall, the cold greenhouses at NEBG have 40 gal plastic trash cans filled with water along the perimeter. The water acts like a heat or cold sink, keeping the air cooler during the day and warmer during the night...cheap, simple, and effective.
You mean like a mulch pile? ;-)

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

hey that's a good idea

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I once had a passive greenhouse with clear acrylic tubes filled with water to do the heat sync thing. It worked fairly well, but I think that being able to move the ice in and out will be more helpful. It's going to take more than one cold night to freeze them thru, should've started a couple nights ago. Left them out covered today and will get another good freeze tonight on them. Then I'll use them for the next two days as it warms up.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh no it's 70 deg.F at night from 6.30 p.m until 8.00 a.m.
My stars and garters the trees, the trees, they have stopped growing, no new shoots.

I think we may pull our cold from Europe and the Antartic.

Seriously.
Hope you guys chill to want you want or rather need.
Not very pleasant reading this stuff - worrisome.
Good Chilling
The Kiskidee of Joy - Anthony

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh no it's 70 deg.F at night from 6.30 p.m until 8.00 a.m.
My stars and garters the trees, the trees, they have stopped growing, no new shoots.

I think we may pull our cold from Europe and the Antartic.

Seriously.
Hope you guys chill to want you want or rather need.
Not very pleasant reading this stuff - worrisome.
Good Chilling
The Kiskidee of Joy - Anthony
You really should quit rubbing it in Anthony. Or you may end up with a bunch of house guests from the colder areas. I know I could handle coming down and chilling in your style. Instead of actual chilling.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually, Mike,

this was designed for exactly, that purpose. Having Artists / Sculptors and now Bonsai folk come on down.
Some for a rest, some to help keep our - somewhat dead art culture - alive.

Cost - gas for the stove, and you buy your own food, rent a car. Solar powered.

Not quite finished, and K, friends and I may be a bit occupied on the Northern area of the island if everything
works out.
This place is in Mayaro and faces east, breezy, and well tree-d.

Right side and down near the cardinal point [ star with N ]
http://www.discovertnt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Trinidad-Map.jpg

It is on the opposite side of the of island, so even if things as friendship goes, no chance of butting heads.
Some art folk are brilliant but difficult.
Got your swim shorts and ugly stix ? Shore fishing - Nice white fleshed fish, palm size and up , also smaller.

Just need about two more years.
Best time after Christmas and until April / May, then the rains return.
Good Day
Anthony

25 x 15' 2 floors concrete roof.
Be warned the rooms are small, the idea is beach, not housework. Roof is concrete = Bar-b-Que
About 2006, trees have grown no way to see like this anymore. 4 Bedrooms
house10.jpg

Young trees and another apartment on the side
house_12.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That would be a trip of a lifetime.
Living in paradise. I'm kind of envious Anthony.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha ha Mike.

Paradise ??

The oil and gas are almost done, we may have to devalue [ from 6.35 TT$ to 1.00 US$ to how low ?]
We have been riding the Oil Express since the 60's , basically had 0.5 % of the World's production and roughly
40 years of reserves.

Now B.P is blowing up all of our off shore sea zones. Eviro.folk soon to be in court, to hopefully stop them.

We may be back to kissing Tourists. No development of export anything. Shut down the Sugar Industry -- too arrogant.

Climate is great, the people are not thinkers.
Trade off.
Good Day
Anthony --------------- rum and coca-cola, working for the US / UK, $/ Pound

Top Bottom