Dumb question: Hand carry a bonsai from Japan?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If customs catches the package, they destroy the tree, then send you a letter telling you that they can come and destroy all your other trees if they catch you again. I'm sure there would be hefty fines as well. Not worth it for sure.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A good friend of mine did this many years ago before the laws changed in 2001. There was a 12" size limit and the species restriction were far less than they are now. He researched it, took a hard sided suitcase with him, and succeeded in bringing back a couple trees. Not so much more any more... I successfully mailed myself a small maple tree the only time I went to Japan...illegal for sure but the tree survived 9 days in a box. I've heard that a couple of big name folks did some illegal importing and got caught and received a big fine supposedly. Not sure if it is true or not but I think it is!
The "stuff it in a suitcase and keep your mouth shut" importation of trees mostly disappeared after 9/11 that brought advanced imaging systems for luggage at airports and a more alert Customs and Border Protection. Good luck getting past TSA and CBP now with a plant in your suitcase. You might be successful, but the downside is extreme. International smuggling of plants is big business and both agencies are looking for it. Fines and possibly jail time--it's a federal offense (I think it's a violation of the Lacey Act.) Fines run from a couple of hundred dollars to $10,000. Your tree will be taken and destroyed.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
The "stuff it in a suitcase and keep your mouth shut" importation of trees mostly disappeared after 9/11 that brought advanced imaging systems for luggage at airports and a more alert Customs and Border Protection. Good luck getting past TSA and CBP now with a plant in your suitcase. You might be successful, but the downside is extreme. International smuggling of plants is big business and both agencies are looking for it. Fines and possibly jail time--it's a federal offense (I think it's a violation of the Lacey Act.) Fines run from a couple of hundred dollars to $10,000. Your tree will be taken and destroyed.
I should of have been more clear but that is not what my buddy did.....it was a legit import through customs...just not doable any more. He even scheduled his return flight to come into the appropriate location and contacted them in advance about his arrival.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
If customs catches the package, they destroy the tree, then send you a letter telling you that they can come and destroy all your other trees if they catch you again. I'm sure there would be hefty fines as well. Not worth it for sure.
That sounds like the voice of experience:)

Top Bottom