Dying elm???

Elmstien

Seedling
Reaction score
Okay, so here's what's going on. I have a chinese elm I got about two years ago, it's a bonsai, not a pre-bonsai, though I have been planting it in a deeper pot to try and thicken the trunk up a bit. Previous fall, spring and summer I put outside in (northern) sunlight. When winter came around I waited for the tree to go dormant and brought it in when it got really cold. Now I have it inside and am planning on keeping it inside. I have a good growlight, a heat element, good humidity and air circulation. I feel like this setup should be more than enough for my elm to thrive but it isn't; I feel like there's a lot of peripheral die off and am afraid I'm going to lose this plant. I honestly don't know what went wrong or why it isn't coming out of dirmancy.
Please advise, thanks!

Elmstien

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry for not clarifying. I felt the tree wasn't doing very well; the sunlight is really awful and my house provides too much shade. I was hoping the move inside (again, w/ proper equipment) would give it a chance to really flourish.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Do you have any pictures?

Really, you should have left it outdoors. That's the only way the tree will flourish. Indoors is going to be too much of a fight for a Chinese Elm.

Elmstien

Seedling
Reaction score
Here's a quick picture

Attachments

• 20160327_224526-1.jpg
    20160327_224526-1.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 57

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you are new to bonsai, there is a steep learning curve in being able to keep trees alive. First of all , trees like to be outside. In winter they need to be protected. Over wintering a Chinese Elm inside the house can kill the tree. I believe, and have found that over watering tends to be the first mistake beginners make, poor soil tends to follow in second place.

Where to start?????? Try to join a club. Research on growing bonsai. It takes time.

Elmstien

Seedling
Reaction score
I have well draining soil and water only when the soil is getting a bit dry, like once, maybe twice a week. I feel like there is something else going on here.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Looks like root rot. That is not free draining soil. It looks like it holds waaay too much water. If you're keeping the soil that wet and the tree has no leaves, there's a good chance it's gone. Scratch the bark, if it's green underneath there's hope. If not, it may be too late.

Elmstien

Seedling
Reaction score
I just scratched the bark back a bit. There's definitely a bit of green, but a lot of brown...

Elmstien

Seedling
Reaction score
Also, my soil drains in about a second or two. I don't see where I'm going wrong w/ the soil.

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's in it, the soil? Let's start there.

Patrik

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That sounds super water retentive. As I said, I'm fairly certain it's root rot. You shouldn't be watering a dormant tree that much indoors.

Elmstien

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok, bottom line, if this tree is alive, what can I do to make it healthy again?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Where do you live Elmstein? Chinese elms are outside trees. If you live in a very cold climate, maybe bring it into an unheated garage for the winter, but not inside the house.

They can take full sun. If you've been keeping it in the shade, it may have just gotten too weak.

Your soil sucks. It may have already killed your tree.
The photo you submitted isn't really helpful, either. It's only a partial. How can we tell anything from that?

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Turface, clay, perlite and sand
Sure doesn't look like it - perlite is bright white, and I don't see any of that in your picture. Are you sure you don't mean vermiculite? Also, the dark component looks suspiciously black or dark brown like potting soil.
Also, my soil drains in about a second or two. I don't see where I'm going wrong w/ the soil.
How fast the pot drains isn't the only important factor - how much moisture the substrate retains after draining is also critical.
my house provides too much shade. I was hoping the move inside (again, w/ proper equipment) would give it a chance to really flourish.
Even though it may not seem that way, indirect sunlight outside is probably brighter (and better) than fluorescents inside.
Put it outside.
This.

Elmstien

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in the northeast US. Soil doesn't look good, huh. I have led growlights, not fluorescents, btw and I do test the soil w/ a moisture meter to double check water logging in the soil.

If I start over w/ a new elm, is there anyone who has anything positive to say about keeping it indoors? How would some of u go about that?
Btw, I really appreciate the informative responses from everyone, thank you!

Top Bottom