Early repotting Satsuki Azaleas

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello everyone.

As a rule of thumb we are supposed to root prune and repott Azaleas after flowering right?
What are the consequences of repotting before they flower like in early spring? Will the tree flower anyway?
The reason that I ask is because I bought an Azalea from someone that wasn't taking care of it and that seems badly root bound. I don't want to put it through the stress of allowing it to flower and would like to repot now that buds are beginning to swell.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
With minor root pruning, it should be okay.

But, bonsai culture is basically maintaining root bound trees/plants. Being root bound isn't a concern as long as the substrate drains well and the tree/plant has healthy green foliage.

In conclusion I will just say that I have a large number of azaleas/rhodies bonsai, most of which haven't been repotted for about 5 years now. My desire for a different pot is the primary motivator for me to repot them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This one's foliage does not look good at all. I keep other Azaleas and even though they are still dormant, their foliage is mostly green and healthy looking.
With minor root pruning, it should be okay.

But, bonsai culture is basically maintaining root bound trees/plants. Being root bound isn't a concern as long as the substrate drains well and the tree/plant has healthy green foliage.

In conclusion I will just say that I have a large number of azaleas/rhodies bonsai, most of which haven't been repotted for about 5 years now. My desire for a different pot is the primary motivator for me to repot them.
This one's foliage does not look good at all. I keep other Azaleas and even though they are still dormant, their foliage is mostly green and healthy looking.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just cut out a a few shallow wedges of the pad of hairy roots around the trunk and fill with new substrate. It ought to be okay for at least another year.

Is this a true satsuki or some other variety of azalea? True satsuki produce a growth spurt before flowering, unlike the others and timing repotting with the onset of that first round of growth is good. Other varieties only start vegetative growth after flowering.

Last edited:

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Steven,
Where are you located?
I just repotted many small azaleas two weeks ago. These are small and weren't healthy because of the soil they were in. I did prune the roots severely. Apparently you can do that if it is the right time. Check out bonsaitonight.com on bare root azalea. Also there an article in Houston bonsai society said azaleas should be reporting now so that the roots will be established by the time they flower.
IMG_20190310_083719.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Steven,
Where are you located?
I just repotted many small azaleas two weeks ago. These are small and weren't healthy because of the soil they were in. I did prune the roots severely. Apparently you can do that if it is the right time. Check out bonsaitonight.com on bare root azalea. Also there an article in Houston bonsai society said azaleas should be reporting now so that the roots will be established by the time they flower.
View attachment 231560
I'm in NJ.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You are much further north so I think it is a bit early for you. But I still think it is ok to bareroot them at repot if you have to.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another thing you should do when repotting, @Steven1969s is to flick your fingers through the root mat. Dead roots will break off and fall away. Get rid of most of the dead stuff too while you are at it.

Top Bottom