Ebay trees: Why Aren't They 'Worked'?

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Brent,

Since I no longer have a real job I have been toying with the idea of selling some of my personal trees on ebay for the past few months. Not sure why I haven't done it so far..... I have thought about the exact question that you brought up.... If I were to do a rough styling I could get more but there is always one issue with that, Shipping!

Jason

Good to hear from you. I admit, I hadn't thought of the shipping angle. It's certainly possible to protect wired trees from damage in shpping, especially smaller ones, but it is another obstacle since you can't manipulate them like you and I do shipping our trees. I enjoy the challenge of getting a tree there safely. I am amazed that many sellers on Ebay can't get even simple potted plants to the buyers in decent shape. It's not rocket science, but it does take thought and patience.

Brent

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boon packed a tree for me to pack as luggage a few years back. With foam in the base for the pot, he used 1X1s to position the trunk in the center of the box, using packing peanuts and making sure they were packed tight. It was an old JBP with leggy branches, but no way to wrap them.

Carrying it as luggage was a mistake. I wrote in big letters, "Fragile--live plant. This Side Up."

As I was standing up to get off the plane, I saw a baggage handler pick up the box, read the markings, and throw it six feet into the bed of a truck with other luggage. Other bags when on top.

When I got the box home, not a needle was out of place. Unfortunately, the tree was weak and did not survive our move to Ottawa. Sad, sad.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Brent: I have never asked you to show your trees because you have never come off as the great master of bonsai and the possessor of all knowledge bonsai. We did have a heated discussion years ago about roots freezing. But all in all I think you are the real deal. Your cultivational skills are above reproach and you always offer sound advise based on experience not what you have read or scraped off the wall of a public rest room.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Brent: I have never asked you to show your trees because you have never come off as the great master of bonsai and the possessor of all knowledge bonsai. We did have a heated discussion years ago about roots freezing. But all in all I think you are the real deal. Your cultivational skills are above reproach and you always offer sound advise based on experience not what you have read or scraped off the wall of a public rest room.

Well isn't that nice... :(

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was disappointed in your insulting and condescending post. You started off serving up a turd and then sprinkled a little sugar on it, but it was still a turd. For that, I felt the purple frown was necessary. :(

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I was disappointed in your insulting and condescending post. You started off serving up a turd and then sprinkled a little sugar on it, but it was still a turd. For that, I felt the purple frown was necessary. :(

You totally misinterpreted what I wrote. The turd is in your own mind. I think a great deal of Brent, he is unpretentious and has never tried to make of himself something he is not. He has never boasted of things he knows nothing about, (which means that some have) he has always been straight forward, honest and non condescending. I think you are the one with the problem.

The saying at the bottom of your posts seems to actually achieve its goal in this little episode:

Expanding my boundaries of ignorance...

In this instance you have succeeded admirably--sadly so. Maybe you should not jump to conclusions so quickly? If Brent thinks I offended him I am sure he can respond.

Last edited:

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
Vance

I'm not offended. It sounded like honest high praise to me, and I appreciate it. I think it was a simple misinterpretation, let's leave it there please. I know Rich from our trips to Oregon, he does good work and is a gentleman, and I value his and your presence here.

Brent

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, I'm not too proud to stand corrected and apologise. So, if I misinterpreted your original comment, please forgive me Mr. Wood. Now I will put purple guy away and bring out is lavender friend...:eek:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Every thing's cool with me, no harm done.

Top Bottom