Elm Thread Graft question

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That info about not scratching em may have been maple specific....

I can see different trees acting differently.
Seems I can put 2 ficus pieces close to each other and they'll fuse. I feel it working. I don't feel that elm working. Something about the hairs on it.

Horticulturally, it's as simple as one healed before the other, or, the hole healed before any connection was made, so you wood have had to wait another season of laying down those connecting pipes to make it work, and I don't think it's garaunteed still.

Scratching it afterward, like we reopen a wound, can help establish those pipes I reckon. Worth a try next time.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd be looking at doing something with those funky roots before I worried about branching.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
funky roots
HAHAHA you don't like my above the soil line root trunk?
I kinda like the exposed root thing... but I weird...
Got this tree that way... not much of the tree left if I messed with the root trunk.
It's not really one of my pride and joy trees. Fun to mess with though.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you scratch the entire scion or just where the cambium and scion touch?

I'd try and scratch it for both sides.

This is when the toothpick, or better, another branch gets used to but them together before you seal it up.

This may be Peter Tea Blog stuff.

Sorce

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Never saw this but found it now.
Interesting... thanks for sharing.
Wish there were pics of the process... the author said that Peter recommended scoring the top and bottom... guess its the same a scratching just to open up the scion.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've had a Japanese maple thread graft get me all excited only to see it fail. My lesson is if it grows and thickens so much that wind or its mere weight could cause stress at the union point, then shorten it.

Top Bottom