Eric Schrader's JBP From Seed Contest Entry

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Just decandled all four of my entries. I'm tempted to post photos but that might ruin the surprise. Given that we only have 6 months left I'm surprised there isn't more activity on this contest forum. Actually , I decandled about 25 trees yesterday and my scissors were so covered in pitch that I had to clean them three times with hand sanitizer and a towel to get it all off.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
OH MAN. What a chunky beast. Did you field grow this yourself? In any case, however, it's looking great. I'm itching to get myself a large field-grown black pine now.
It was field grown by lone pine gardens in Sebastapol, CA. Starting to look like a real bonsai after 4 years or so of pruning/cutback etc.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
TBH, the trees are cute, but they're not super impressive post decandling. I suppose at year 6 not many are. But I'm guessing someone will come up with better.
Tomorrow I'll be doing similar work and will update my contest thread. Considering I moved twice during the contest, I'm happy I still have some entries :) A year ago I took the trees that I didn't think were ready for the contest, and I stuck them in the ground at our property where we are building our new home (while they were still in their pond baskets). There they received no water or fertilizer for the entire year. And today they look better than the trees I was "saving" for the contest :)

Top Bottom