Euonymus Burning Bush

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was in Marvin's checking on supplies for a home project, just had to walk through the outdoor garden center to look. I see this Burning Bush sitting all by itself, about 10" tall and priced at $3.59 with half off that...so for $1.79 I had to get it. It has been outside through all this cold we had past couple of weeks and appears to be good. I can see small buds that look like they have life just waiting to pop open. I have a "Dwarf Brush Cherry / Eugenia Unifolia" that I had been calling a Burning Bush. I realize the true name is different and will research to find out more. I may find in the research what I am asking now but would appreciate any advice or ideas. My existing one was sold as an "Indoor" tree and I have brought it inside the past 2 years when temps drop. This new one has been outside and still looks good other than no leaves. Should I leave it outside for the rest of the year? Will it back bud if I cut some of the top out?
Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

• Euonymus Burning Bush.jpg
    Euonymus Burning Bush.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 197

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well I'm not usually the first to get to reply but I can tell you what I have seen. There are some very nice examples of burning bush as bonsai. So like much deciduous stock it would have to back bud. I remember someone mentioning seeing them at the Home Depot and noticing myself that for $20 they were quite nice trunks. Here in zone 6 they are quite hardy so in your zone I imagine even in a pot it would be fine outside, where it should stay. Would likely die indoors. I myself am hoping to lift one this spring if my in-law will let replace it.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the reply, sfhellwig. From the reading I have done I think this tree will have red leaves in the fall. It is very small now, I did not include anything in the picture to compare size to. The trunk is about as big as your finger, I don't plan on it getting much bigger. As for my existing tree that was sold a Burning Bush, I am confused, it does not lose the leaves.
Thanks,
Michael

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes the burning bush do turn a brilliant red in fall. Almost unbelievable as the entire bush will go at once and is a very strong red unlike many trees that kind of blend through the colors. The Burning Bush is "Euonymus alatus" and there are several types of Euonymus, several of which are evergreen. The Brush Cherry is also a popular plant but being Eugenia Unifolia would tell me it has no similarity to the Euonymus. Good luck, if I had walked past that it would have come home with me too.:D

Tink32

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was in Marvin's checking on supplies for a home project, just had to walk through the outdoor garden center to look. I see this Burning Bush sitting all by itself, about 10" tall and priced at $3.59 with half off that...so for $1.79 I had to get it. It has been outside through all this cold we had past couple of weeks and appears to be good. I can see small buds that look like they have life just waiting to pop open. I have a "Dwarf Brush Cherry / Eugenia Unifolia" that I had been calling a Burning Bush. I realize the true name is different and will research to find out more. I may find in the research what I am asking now but would appreciate any advice or ideas. My existing one was sold as an "Indoor" tree and I have brought it inside the past 2 years when temps drop. This new one has been outside and still looks good other than no leaves. Should I leave it outside for the rest of the year? Will it back bud if I cut some of the top out?
Thanks,
Michael
I picked one up at home depot for 10 bucks, the trunks were what caught my eye. I recently cut the trunks down to smaller branches to start creating some taper. they appear to back bud very well as I had to rub a few out from around the base of the trunks and that was before I started working on it!

It is also known as the "winged spindle tree", I have a book titled " the complete book of bonsai" by Harry Tomlinson, that has a nice group planting of this species and a brief description on euonymus. heres a little more info for you, just check out this link,

http://bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATEuonymousalatusProgressionSeries.htm

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Euonymus make indeed good bonsai.

Attachments

• 2009-11-NSC_8783ofv.jpg
    2009-11-NSC_8783ofv.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 2009-11-NSC_8735ofv.jpg
    2009-11-NSC_8735ofv.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 2009-05-NSC_7444ofv.jpg
    2009-05-NSC_7444ofv.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 2007-10-DSC_0248ofv.jpg
    2007-10-DSC_0248ofv.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 157

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
noissee,

the laves are very small already. This is a very small tree, it is only 30 cm high, 12 inches.

Last edited:

Roberts

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just from the pictures, I would of thought it a much bigger tree. That's amazing.

Robert

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is all very encouraging! Thanks for the pictures Walter.
I moved mine from the nursery pot last weekend, nope did home project last weekend, it was 2 weeks ago. I know it needs to grow in the nursery pot for a few years, but I just wanted to see how it did this season in a bonsai pot. It had the appearance of a older tree as it is, that is what got my attention when I walked by. It has red buds on all the branches, I look forwarding to see it in bloom. My move it back to a larger grow pot when it goes back to sleep next year.
Have A Great Day!
Michael

Top Bottom