European Hornbeam #3

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello,

A large (now my largest) twin trunk hornbeam. Currently in a very large airpot and really well established. Has been roughly shortened and cut back, just to fit in the car. No styling or anything else done for it yet.

DSC_1263 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1258 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1268 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Currently its a big old mess. My only current plans are shortening the trunks and cleaning up non-essential branches, and let grow in Spring. It should grow strong and well, re-assess end of Spring for perhaps a better more major styling.

I want to keep its large, big bone, wild look, for sure.

Thoughts?

J.J.

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Beautiful twin trunk, time to start working on branches?

Please share your experience with airpots as I am about to order a few of them but would like your opinion on them.
What size are you using?
I generally use a soil mix of pumice, perlite, bark, diatomaceous earth, charcoal, with particle size being 1/8" to 1/4". I am concerned about soil particles blocking or leaking through the holes. What size soil particles are you using? Will appreciate the input.
How is growth? and repot time?

Thank you.
Greg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Beautiful twin trunk, time to start working on branches?

Please share your experience with airpots as I am about to order a few of them but would like your opinion on them.
What size are you using?
I generally use a soil mix of pumice, perlite, bark, diatomaceous earth, charcoal, with particle size being 1/8" to 1/4". I am concerned about soil particles blocking or leaking through the holes. What size soil particles are you using? Will appreciate the input.
How is growth? and repot time?

Thank you.
Greg

hey.
Sorry I can’t give you much. This was just bought so it’s untouched. The air pot is what it’s been in for, what seems a few years. Very well established. It’s in a nursery soil, nothing more. I’ve no experience with them, I just bought it.
Bear in mind it has no bottom, it’s a wrap so not even a pot to be honest!

but yes I’ve gotta do major pruning work on it to start its development. Will be fairly long term project, perhaps 5-6 years will start looking impressive.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No work done on this yet, am thinking I will perhaps air layer this portion from one of the trunks, as its own tree. It would only be chopped off any way.
DSC_1332 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

I think this will make an interesting tree for future, nothing great but not bad for a free tree!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello @ConorDash...how is this one doing?
Whoops. Didnt know someone actually posted on here.

Nothing done with this yet, its just been left for 2 years.
I believe, this weekend, I am finally going to tackle it.. been psyching myself up for the beast of a job it is to reduce that root ball.

Will post, once done.

Top Bottom