EWP. Yeah I know!!

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm in the midwest, I don't recall seeing more than one or two bristlecone pines at shows. Similarly only a handful of limber pines. Part of the reason, is they grow slow enough that they always look only partially developed. They won't look mature enough to be allowed to be displayed at a medium high quality show like the August show at Chicago Botanic Garden. The only ones I recall seeing were wild collected, ancient trees, which one would have to purchase in the midwest if you did not collect yourself. The price tags would be in the thousands. Little or no nursery material of bristlecones available, and when available, they look like seedlings. Not like bonsai.

You need growth to be able to style, and develop a tree.

Huh?? You speak as though you are the all knowing authority on Bristlecone yet Id be willing to bet you've never owned or cultivated one yourself. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Huh?? You speak as though you are the all knowing authority on Bristlecone yet Id be willing to bet you've never owned or cultivated one yourself. You have no clue what you're talking about.
Dear Dawg
I have owned 3 different bristlecone pines in my over 40 years of doing bonsai. How many have you owned?

This thread has been dormant for 8 months, and this is the only item in the thread that attracts your attention? The thread is about EWP, in particular the 'Blue Shag' cultivar of EWP.

I'm sorry if to you I come off as a "know it all blow hard". It is one of the problems type written language. Intended tone & mood of a post are often lost, or misinterpreted.

Rather than respond, why don't you take this discussion to PM, the private message function of BNut.

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dear Dawg
I have owned 3 different bristlecone pines in my over 40 years of doing bonsai. How many have you owned?

This thread has been dormant for 8 months, and this is the only item in the thread that attracts your attention? The thread is about EWP, in particular the 'Blue Shag' cultivar of EWP.

I'm sorry if to you I come off as a "know it all blow hard". It is one of the problems type written language. Intended tone & mood of a post are often lost, or misinterpreted.

Rather than respond, why don't you take this discussion to PM, the private message function of BNut.
I'd love to. It doesn't matter what the topic is, you deserve to be called out for spewing unsupported, unscientific and untrue rubbish in a pompous, matter of fact tone. This nonsense proves that your 40 years spent hasn't taught you much.

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@BonsaiDawg Did you reply to the right thread? I'm confused!!
Yes he
Dear Dawg

AND... Owning 5 barerooted 3 year old seedlings that you managed to kill within 3 months does not count...

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd love to. It doesn't matter what the topic is, you deserve to be called out for spewing unsupported, unscientific and untrue rubbish in a pompous, matter of fact tone. This nonsense proves that your 40 years spent hasn't taught you much.
The best way of proving someone wrong, is showing them the evidence. That's exactly what you're not doing right now.
I could use information about bristlecones and EWP. That's what I'm here for. I see one person providing valuable information, and another claiming he's wrong without backing that claim with, I don't know, supported, scientific and true rubbish?
Come on man, my longaeva pines are dying! My EWP is growing like crazy and the needles keep getting longer! I could use some tips and tricks!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
None of my bristlecones were bare root seedlings. The one that survived the longest, over 5 years, was a collected tree that I acquired through Keith Scott, who then lived in Ohio. The "old timers" around here will know the name, and know he was active in bonsai before the invention of inexpensive digital photography. Chances are fair, that this was before you were born. My other efforts were younger, nursery grown stock, but not as you disparage as bare root seedlings.

But whatever, apparently you have taken a dislike to me. Too bad you feel that way. You know there is an "ignore" function for the website. Why don't you add my name to your blocked list, so you don't even have to see my posts.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@BonsaiDawg why do you keep coming in so hot on every post? What are you trying to accomplish in calling out and attempting to put on blast every member of this site?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
None of my bristlecones were bare root seedlings. The one that survived the longest, over 5 years, was a collected tree that I acquired through Keith Scott, who then lived in Ohio. The "old timers" around here will know the name, and know he was active in bonsai before the invention of inexpensive digital photography. Chances are fair, that this was before you were born. My other efforts were younger, nursery grown stock, but not as you disparage as bare root seedlings.

But whatever, apparently you have taken a dislike to me. Too bad you feel that way. You know there is an "ignore" function for the website. Why don't you add my name to your blocked list, so you don't even have to see my posts.
Don’t take it personal Leo, for whatever reason he seems to be calling out people left and right on a number of posts since this morning.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My EWP is growing like crazy and the needles keep getting longer! I could use some tips and tricks!
@0soyoung and I were on track to tackle this with one of my dwarf EWPs a couple years ago
so maybe he could give you some tips and tricks I never got a chance to explore with mine.

The second and final dwarf EWP I have (needles pretty much as long as the species) does back bud
with significantly shorter needles, but I have no clue why it back buds on certain branches, and at the same
distance from the trunk on each tertiary branch, but it does. I assume these miniature needles would grow
to normal length if the branches were cut back to them. IDK, I think I'm slowly caving in on EWP and shifting
back to other species I've had better luck with. I can keep EWP in a pot indefinitely, but making it look like a bonsai
is not my...calling, so to say.

@Leo in N E Illinois for whatever reasons, nothing to slight any other member I duly respect on BN
I'm only following one...to date I don't know what that means, because I never get any notifications
about your posts or anything like that, like new threads etc... ;)
Your experience and patience are very helpful to many.

Top Bottom