Experience with Pyrethrin

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just ordered a bottle of Bonide Pyrethrin concentrate to help with aphids and spider mites this summer (my biggest problem in the garden).

I was curious other people's experience with it. Obviously since it's a concentrate I will definitely be following directions and applying after sunset to avoid leaf burn.

Any other things I should know about?

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
It is a contact killer…so if beneficials and pollinators are out take note where you are spraying.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Spider mites need an adequate treatment in the sense that you'll have to knock them down, and knock them down hard. All at once.
Otherwise they'll be resistant in a single generation. So treat with a two week interval for at least three times. That's 6 weeks.

Aphids are as good as dead with the stuff in a single hit.

If it's mixed with napthalene then avoid heat and sunlight, and do mark your spraying cannister: it's now single purpose.
If it's mixed with rapeseed oil, you can more or less safely rinse it with soap.

Keep in mind that even though pyrethrin is considered safe, it breaks down very slowly in an indoor environment and has been shown to cause certain allergies. Especially in young kids.

I cannot stress this enough: KEEP CATS AND REPTILES AWAY FROM PYRETHRINS BECAUSE THEY LACK THE BREAKDOWN ENZYMES AND IT WILL ACCUMULATE IN THE ORGANS.
I have seen the seizures, it's not a pretty death.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is a contact killer…so if beneficials and pollinators are out take note where you are spraying.
Definitely will! Thankfully all my actual flowering plants are pretty far from my bench and they won't be treated. All my trees in training that do flower I remove flower buds before they form because all of them are in development right now.

I wanted to try organic and thought about trying lady bugs this year, but have heard mixed results on that.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lady bugs fly away and ants eat the larvae. If the aphids are a real issue, the ladybugs will show up on their own. Buying them is like buying a box of sparrows; once they're free, they'll go wherever they please.
But.. Having every chair in the backyard filled with dancing/jiggling ladybug puppae is a nuisance as well, trust me ;-)
They crush into orange goo.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
[QUOTE="Apex37, post: 958962, member: 35455"
I wanted to try organic and thought about trying lady bugs this year, but have heard mixed results on that.
[/QUOTE]

I have found spider mites and aphids pretty easy to control with a moderately forceful stream of water, applied daily until the pests are no longer an issue.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
For ladybugs to work, you need a good ton of food available immediately along with cover and moisture. I have heard of a wetted bundle of tied together twigs working for cover.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
[QUOTE="Apex37, post: 958962, member: 35455"

I have found spider mites and aphids pretty easy to control with a moderately forceful stream of water, applied daily until the pests are no longer an issue.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks TJ, I'm going to try and be more consistent on really spraying down my trees this year as opposed to last year. Lots of growing pains in the first year of this hobby, but all of it necessary in learning.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Whoa…. Not so fast with running to chemicals like this….I’d recommend one first thoroughly read and follow the Safety Data Sheet. This chemical is not for the unwary. Specific Target Organ Toxicity Single Exposure 3: is no joke,

https://southernag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Pyrethrin-sds.pdf

This stuff is nasty for much more then spider mites and aphids. it’s a good way to trash all the critters in the rhizosphere of your media….

Wear all your PPE, avoid windy days and overspray. Store safety and separately.
DSD sends

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I have wanted to grow mums specifically to make my own pyrethrum for a while now.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's not really a chemical, it's from the chrysanthemum.
Gosh…. And cyanide comes from almonds and Lima beans. It’s a hazardous chemical. Please read the SDS.

Be Safe
DSD
former Chemical Hygiene Officer

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Right, and THC isn’t a chemical either because it comes from pot plants😬

Something like that

Gosh…. And cyanide comes from almonds and Lima beans. It’s a hazardous chemical. Please read the SDS.

Be Safe
DSD
former Chemical Hygiene Officer

Don't forget Ricin ;)

I wouldn't advise spilling the concentrate (what the sds refers to) on one's skin or drink it.

Pyrethrin applied is safe up till day of harvest.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Something like that

Don't forget Ricin ;)

I wouldn't advise spilling the concentrate (what the sds refers to) on one's skin or drink it.

Soooooooo…. THC is a chemical, as is pyrethrins… doesn’t mean they’re good, bad, harmful or safe… but they are chemicals.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Soooooooo…. THC is a chemical, as is pyrethrins… doesn’t mean they’re good, bad, harmful or safe… but they are chemicals.
Neither are chemicals while still in the plant. Once refined they meet the technical definition, but even then not as the average person would understand a chemical.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not hardly. You might want to read the entire SDS again.
Safe for what? So sorry to harp. One thing I learned about working as a CHO. Folks will believe what they want to to believe. Until something happens.

Best
DSD sends

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Not hardly. You might want to read the entire SDS again.

Safe for what? So sorry to harp. One thing I learned about working as a CHO. Folks will believe what they want to to believe. Until something happens.

Best
DSD sends

Safe for use on plants that are harvested to be consumed...like fruits and vegetables.
That's not me making it up, take it up with Bonide and the EPA.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Safe for use on plants that are harvested to be consumed...like fruits and vegetables.
That's not me making it up, take it up with Bonide and the EPA.

You could get scary with SDS of bleach, but it's just fine to use on our home surfaces. Heck you can even eat food off a counter that was cleaned with bleach, same day!

Top Bottom