Exposed root Japanese Maple...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Many may recall this tree on my post on the Ponderosa thread.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/thanks-to-all-who-offered-advice-on-the-ponderosa-pine.26647/

Or seen slight mention of it with the pot thread...
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/neither-may-work-but-i-have-an-addiction.26890/

Well, my tree arrived on Wednesday. Was waiting for the pot to post all together. I don't see it going in to this pot next year. I see the roots needing reduced over time to keep it heathy. Health trumps pot every day!

Lubos Skoda pot... 9 inches x "almost" 7 inches by 2 deep. (Tried my best for @sorce to get the feet so they were even. )
image.jpg

Held up next to the tree...
image.jpg

Other angles of the tree...

The front Teddi/New England Bonsai chose for this tree which offers a lovely shape for the canopy.
image.jpg

The front I sort of like by the way the lay of the top of what looks like a connected one root tree.
image.jpg

Which from eye level...offers up a decent view of the structure from the back bench.
image.jpg

The back side of the tree has amazing movement of that connecting root.
image.jpg

Almost so...that I pondered it as a front, but would need to sit lower on a bench.
image.jpg

The photo from New England Bonsai's website offering it for sale that...had me intrigued. So a naked shot of the structure.
image.jpg

At this time...nothing major is coming off the root system. There is NO rock inside. I discussed with Teddi a plan at repot next year. She said...there is a lot of weight going on up there. So take it slow...if I removed all the center...it may collapse. Which I don't want. I will never air layer this. (Let's be honest) I think it's a unique piece that stands out from the next maple clump/grove or what ever one wishes to call it. It intrigued me...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 31

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So I guess you were much happier with the mailman today! The tree looks much nicer with it's "clothes" on. That is really something. I think eventually it would look good in that pot, or you could just get something else to put in it.;) Glad you finally got them both!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Part of me wants to say just get a high pressure hose and wash all that soil under the roots away then stick a rock in it. But, I know that's not where you want to take it so I'll resist the temptation to say it. ;) After looking at it here and on Facebook it's starting to grow on me. I mean the trunks have taper, are starting to age nicely and the internodes look to be pretty short. Once all those fine dead roots are cut away I think you'll have a better idea on what to do with it. It will be interesting to see where you take it. Really nice pot by the way.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Part of me wants to say just get a high pressure hose and wash all that soil under the roots away then stick a rock in it. But, I know that's not where you want to take it so I'll resist the temptation to say it. ;) After looking at it here and on Facebook it's starting to grow on me. I mean the trunks have taper, are starting to age nicely and the internodes look to be pretty short. Once all those fine dead roots are cut away I think you'll have a better idea on what to do with it. It will be interesting to see where you take it. Really nice pot by the way.
Let's just say, I have every intention to have a few rocks setting aside in hands reach during repot. For one reason only...I have NO IDEA what that structure will do when it's taken from its current pot. ;)

Thanks...it has a way of growing on a person. First time I seen it...I could visualize Jim Smith shaking his head at it. For you know his love of teaching me the ways of what a "Hot Mess of roots were" bless his heart. And...I'm growing...and can to a degree see good Nebari. Then, I go and take ten steps back and buy this. Lol

Thanks Vin! The pot is absolutely stunning...Photos can't seem to do it justice.

A special thanks to @Walter Pall for having such a lovely young lady offering up pots he hand selected. I really enjoyed doing business with Jennifer Price.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I guess you were much happier with the mailman today! The tree looks much nicer with it's "clothes" on. That is really something. I think eventually it would look good in that pot, or you could just get something else to put in it.;) Glad you finally got them both!

UPS came into the lake later than normal. I was at the bus stop...but KNEW what I would find when I arrived back home. :D Yes, I too fell in love with is clothes. ;) Thanks...I think Jennifer did well in selecting what she felt would be a good pairing as well. I'm not disappointed in the least. And...can visualize it one day in said pot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love unique looking trees. I can't wait to see what you do with it. congrats:)

Thanks...I see spring of 2018 an interesting fork in the road as to what happens during a repot. Planning on having a few size pots for it. But...the one above will be its final pot once it's reduced which currently it's in a 4" deep pot. I'm not that familiar with maples as to how they can handle root prunes. But...overall health...and taking a few years if I have to. Before its placed in its intended pot.

I love unique/quirky trees. Makes them stand out on the bench from just another tree. I notice a mean toward female looking trees more than not.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Perhaps there is a way to save it as is without resorting to air layering? I am thinking of filling the gaps inside with keto (muck) and then dressing it with moss while keeping some of the thicker roots exposed. A nice round pot would look great I think.

FYI, when done at the right time (early spring) maples can handle drastic root pruning.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Perhaps there is a way to save it as is without resorting to air layering? I am thinking of filling the gaps inside with keto (muck) and then dressing it with moss while keeping some of the thicker roots exposed. A nice round pot would look great I think.

FYI, when done at the right time (early spring) maples can handle drastic root pruning.

Don't take this the wrong way...and, I'm a married woman and all...love my husband too. But...I LOVE YOU SERGIO! (The way your brain works!) I had not thought of that. But ABSOLUTLY LOVE that idea/direction of using muck then dressing it with moss. You da man! :cool:

Round pot...food for thought. Thanks!

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@MACH5 ...Seregio...If I'm using muck as, say mortar to fill the areas where there is the fine roots, leaving the larger exposed... Could that be done...now, or once I've I gather moss that is? Since I'm not really disturbing them...then, next spring it would serve as a protection to help hold it together as well during repot. (In my mind I'm thinking that might add additional protection from a collapse during repot epic fail saga.)

Totally doing this...just need to have guidance as to if I need to remain patient for next spring...or can be done any time.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 ...Seregio...If I'm using muck as, say mortar to fill the areas where there is the fine roots, leaving the larger exposed... Could that be done...now, or once I've I gather moss that is? Since I'm not really disturbing them...then, next spring it would serve as a protection to help hold it together as well during repot. (In my mind I'm thinking that might add additional protection from a collapse during repot epic fail saga.)

Totally doing this...just need to have guidance as to if I need to remain patient for next spring...or can be done any time.

Darlene, yes you could easily do it now. You most likely would have to finesse it and tweak once the tree goes in its pot next spring. The muck will encourage fine roots and will eventually make it all more stable and solid.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene, yes you could easily do it now. You most likely would have to finesse it and tweak once the tree goes in its pot next spring. The muck will encourage fine roots and will eventually make it all more stable and solid.
Thanks Sergio...that's what I was hoping. I actually liked the green moss on it now. So...love the direction you offered. And...making it more stable as well.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't take this the wrong way...and, I'm a married woman and all...love my husband too. But...I LOVE YOU SERGIO! (The way your brain works!) I had not thought of that. But ABSOLUTLY LOVE that idea/direction of using muck then dressing it with moss. You da man! :cool:

Round pot...food for thought. Thanks!
Don't feel guilty, we all love Sergio ;)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Quirky I will give it that @JudyB ...elegant feminine tree though from the trunk. Reminds me of my Virginia Virginia creeper's roots as well. But your seem less masculine. Maybe it's the trunk. I don't think it's fare to compare a ginkgo to a maple. Different characteristics...your tree I wouldn't say is less than my own. Thanks for sharing.

As for my roots...it's easy to visualize the moss. When it has green moss growing already in areas. Take away the ugly fine roots...and picture tidy green. I can do that. Still trying to decide the direction of the right side. Do I muck clean up to that root and for now...covering the grafted on base... ? If I do that. I may still allow lower roots of it to show. But make it appear as a one root across the top laying on the ground. Or leave a valley if possible and still block that thick grafted on section for now with muck. It has a great forking lower from it that is cool. I would like to see if I can incorporate into the mix. Guess I really won't know until I start tossing muck around. Roots are 4" tall from surface of soil and around 6" from left to right in length.

image.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@JudyB ...elegant feminine tree

That's what I refrained from saying about Judy's Ginkgo for fear of passing from a macho-man :D

But yes, she's got that touch and eye that we don't have: like in politics, I wish there were more women in the world of bonsai.

PS: and I mean women, not baby-sharks or inflatable sexy advisors that get a post through nepotism. This to avoid lewd comments about "pulling down panties" and the like...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's what I refrained from saying about Judy's Ginkgo for fear of passing from a macho-man :D

But yes, she's got that touch and eye that we don't have: like in politics, I wish there were more women in the world of bonsai.

PS: and I mean women, not baby-sharks or inflatable sexy advisors that get a post through nepotism. This to avoid lewd comments about "pulling down panties" and the like...
Thank you Alain, I agree that it would be really great to have more involvement from women, but in a serious way. Too many of the female members are just not interested in improving or doing "good" bonsai.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you Alain, I agree that it would be really great to have more involvement from women, but in a serious way. Too many of the female members are just not interested in improving or doing "good" bonsai.

They are increasing in numbers for sure. Perhaps not so much in Japan, but most certainly in Europe and to a lesser degree here in the US but increasing in numbers. Some of the women throughout Europe are practicing bonsai with some serious material on par with what some men are working with. Not that size should really matter in bonsai.

Top Bottom