F. benajmina cuttings under grow light

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’ve had this cool “growhouse” lighted herb garden for a while…but I killed all the herbs I was growing. I’ve decided to repurpose it for growing cuttings from my Ficus benajmina, which is my only tropical tree. The cuttings are in perlite and chopped sphagnum, and I plan to mist a few times a day. The light is set for 12 hours of medium intensity light per day, but I will likely turn it up once they’ve rooted. In spring, they will be moved outside with the other tropical plants and in summer I will repot the survivors.

I’m posting to get feedback on this approach. I have thought about adding PVC or polycarbonate sheets to the openings to provide more of a greenhouse environment, but I’m concerned about getting the humidity wrong (and since it’s brass, my initial approach of using magnets to affix them may not work.

Attachments

• IMG_0956.jpeg
    IMG_0956.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0963.jpeg
    IMG_0963.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0970.jpeg
    IMG_0970.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 29

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The plastic will help. I find Benjamina cuttings to be hit or miss. If they are allowed to dry out the leaves shrivel and drop then the stem desiccates. Hopefully you have better luck with yours.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’m trying to make plans for getting plastic on it, as I’ve experienced these cuttings drying out after missing just a few mistings. Thinking about using velcro adhesive strips on the edges instead of the magnets I had initially envisioned. My only concern with that is the light melting the adhesive.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cuttings will strike easier when the mother plant is actively growing. You might have more success in summer. Still, no harm trying.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The cuttings will strike easier when the mother plant is actively growing. You might have more success in summer. Still, no harm trying.
The mother plant has been actively growing since I got. Has slowed down some, but not a ton, since bringing it inside. Most cuttings were very young leaves.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Depending on how big it is, you could get out the plastic cling wrap and circle the four sides.
I did exactly this, because it was way too easy to achieve. For now it’s a “temporary solution”, but I’ve implemented enough of those to know how that tends to go.
IMG_0979.jpeg
I’ve got a wireless thermometer/hygrometer in there that I will be monitoring. Any thoughts on what relative humidity I should be targeting?

I’m not so sure how I will mist them again if I need to, but I suppose the idea is that I shouldn’t need to much?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Was there any white sap when you cut them? That's your sign that the tree is active. Even then, I've had reasonable luck with benji cuttings from a sleepy tree.

Actually, I've had great luck in general, even when I'm not actually trying. It took my greenhouse blowing over in the middle of hot dry summer night to get me down to 50% success rate. I literally just stick them in whatever soil doesn't turn into a brick, and the damn things grow. No hormone or nothing, better luck when it's warm of course.

Pour a little bit of water into that basin, and that should be all the humidity you could possibly need. Can't imagine you should have to worry about it in a Seattle winter anyway. I don't even bother worrying about humidity, just keep them out of direct sun.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Was there any white sap when you cut them? That's your sign that the tree is active.
yep, enough of it that I had to out on gloves. That stuff stings!

Pour a little bit of water into that basin, and that should be all the humidity you could possibly need. Can't imagine you should have to worry about it in a Seattle winter anyway. I don't even bother worrying about humidity, just keep them out of direct sun.
I’m keeping them inside. My worry is less about low humidity and more about high humidity, really. It’s been at an average of 93% RH since I wrapped it.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, I don't think you have to worry about humidity at all. They're jungle/rainforest trees. They can suck it up no problem.

What have the temperatures been like there? Anything lower than mid 50sF at night without really warning up during the day and they'll slow down allot, leading to failure. You're growing light should be plenty if you want to keep them inside until they root.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I checked these cuttings for roots the other day. After being out of town for a bit over the holidays with some humidity swings, I noticed a few of the cuttings looked a bit worse for wear. Three of the cuttings had failed, but not too bad! All the others show evidence of roots.

So my question is, what should I do now? Remove the saran wrap around the outside and water them like normal, or keep them wrapped up until we get temperatures where they can go outside.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wouldn't be in too big a hurry to unwrap them completely, but increase the ventilation over a few days or a week. I've never tented or used heat on mine, but I imagine you might not want to shock them too hard since you have been.

Top Bottom