Feed Me Bonsai

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah but in pots they are slow to make a decent trunk unfortunately :confused: 🤘
Get a really big pot?
I might be able to find a way to build a cold frame or something over it and see if I can get one to winter outside in the ground. Plant it right next to the house maybe.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Back when I was a kiddo my mum and I spent some time researching creative ways to incorporate fruit trees into our tiny potager garden. I was fascinated by the process of espaliering a tree to save space; I even recall finding an article (?) from a gardener who wired two leaders of an apple tree around the corners of a raised bed, at knee height.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That one little blurb was so informational I'm blown away.
I've seen rosemary as bonsai before, but that piece is incredible.
Back when I was a kiddo my mum and I spent some time researching creative ways to incorporate fruit trees into our tiny potager garden. I was fascinated by the process of espaliering a tree to save space; I even recall finding an article (?) from a gardener who wired two leaders of an apple tree around the corners of a raised bed, at knee height.
That's something to consider. Bonsai techniques keep the tree compact, but there must be a balance between that and the techniques you mentioned that will make a good looking as well as productive specimen.

Top Bottom