Feedback on my first video

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm really excited to see your personality coming out more as you get more comfortable with your on-camera presence!

The Bloopers were GREAT!... I could SEE the recalculations happening, apparent in your eyes, during the Linden one.

The boys loved the video, too. They wanted me to tell you, "Congratulations!" and "Awesome celebration hat!!l

I'm going to be commenting shortly, on YouTube.

But on YOUTUBE I'm not a Sponge... I'm also not "Myself"

HAHAHA!!

😂😂😂

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I could SEE the recalculations happening, apparent in your eyes, during the Linden one.
Glad you did not see my frustration popping through! I have videos with 8 re-takes. And the stupid dutchman is too tall for all normal angles so I regularly cut my head of. I taped a whole emergency repot and only checked the footage when the work was done. Dumb, I know..

I'm really excited to see your personality coming out more as you get more comfortable with your on-camera presence!
I am never sure what people come to the tube for. In London it is clear, to get somewhere. But online.. Is it the person? Or the content?
Guess.. If I look at Herons and Saunders.. Must be a least in part personality of the presenter. You are right. Might have to be more me!

The boys loved the video, too. They wanted me to tell you, "Congratulations!" and "Awesome celebration hat!!l
That is great! Naturally, they can watch all videos on the channel ;). I am sure they will love the wiring conifers made easy, once it comes out.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Glad you did not see my frustration popping through! I have videos with 8 re-takes. And the stupid dutchman is too tall for all normal angles so I regularly cut my head of. I taped a whole emergency repot and only checked the footage when the work was done. Dumb, I know..

I am never sure what people come to the tube for. In London it is clear, to get somewhere. But online.. Is it the person? Or the content?
Guess.. If I look at Herons and Saunders.. Must be a least in part personality of the presenter. You are right. Might have to be more me!

That is great! Naturally, they can watch all videos on the channel ;). I am sure they will love the wiring conifers made easy, once it comes out.
To be honest.. (Regarding 'Youtubers' and "desirable content")

It's a mix of..

"Thorough Knowledge of topic(s) covered. (OR confidence/skill enough, in 'general arena' to perform variables)"

"Pleasing and FORWARD personality" (When you set more of yourself OUT there... there will be more RELATABLE aspects of your personality, for folks to "vibe with". And people, LIKE YOURSELF, have a very TRUE, EARNEST manner about you, with enough self-knowledge...... that casts a REALLY wide, "I like that guy"- Net.

And thirdly, but not in importance... is passion in the CONSTRUCTION and delivery of content. This is ONLY ever apparent in QUALITY of the presented media. (Like your separate, surprised humor-'takes' about "1000 subscribers" illustrates this passion and attention to detail, perfectly)

(Obviously interest in subject matter and agreeable standpoints are prerequisites)

Your content/yourself/your channel 'check' all those boxes for me.

I'm glad others are noticing...

It will only get better and better friend.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
.. If I look at Herons and Saunders..

I would ALSO look at people who've become very popular producing NON-bonsai, but informative content..

There is a channel, called "The Behavioral Arts" that I've been following for a while...

The "guy" is named 'Spidey', and he's an educated psychologist/sociologist and BEHAVIOR and Body Language expert as his profession.. but also does a lot of Hypnotism and Mentalism.

His channel is mostly psychology/behavioral analysis... and has RECENTLY become heavy with "Pop culture traffic" because of the Depp vs. Heard case, which I'm LESS interested i, but I still frequent.

His content is GREAT! I highly recommend it.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Live NOW!

You know Jelle, you are such a generous guy.
Let's start from the beginning; in my first year of bonsai, I got a subscription to the Bonsai Empire forum, and you were the first one to take me seriously, and kindly taught me how to navigate the forum and how to grow bonsai successfully.
Thanks for that.
After some years, and now here in BNut, we all see that you keep being that humble and kind person, and still disseminating great bonsai culture.
And NOW that you've become an YouTube star, you just find the time to thank ME on your 1k video for something so small as some video tips for online distribution; my absolute pleasure!
Well, here we go again; thank YOU for all those years of friendship and good bonsai practices. You are great.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Let's start from the beginning; in my first year of bonsai, I got a subscription to the Bonsai Empire forum, and you were the first one to take me seriously, and kindly taught me how to navigate the forum and how to grow bonsai successfully.
Thanks for that.
After some years, and now here in BNut, we all see that you keep being that humble and kind person, and still disseminating great bonsai culture.
And NOW that you've become an YouTube star, you just find the time to thank ME on your 1k video for something so small as some video tips for online distribution; my absolute pleasure!
Well, here we go again; thank YOU for all those years of friendship and good bonsai practices. You are great.
When he mentioned you/showed the comment, I feel it important to note, that ON both occasions, I was all, *loudly and energetically* "Cli-ci-oooo! Heeeey! I love that guy!"

😂😂😂

Clicio hit the "head right on the nail" about your, Jelle, generosity.

The humble, and entertaining teacher.

🤓

(I think it's funny that no one mentioned/took seriously our "Magical Wadrobe Portal" comments...)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
❤️❤️❤️❤️
Congrats on the 1k, I told you it’d happen.😜. Your videos are great and inspiring, but I have to ask who was your feline helper in the bloopers? 😀
Yeah, you were right. But this was faster than expected. Funnily enough.. Remember this guy from south africa making a video about japanese maple cuttings a year or so ago.. My video about japanese maple cuttings is the one causing a big stir on the channel.

The cat is Harvey, a visitor to our house whenever our Portugese friends go home. Typically we have him 2 months per year at our place. He stars in an upcoming video on budget bonsai!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm glad others are noticing...

It will only get better and better friend.
Thank you for the confidence. I need to tackle this hurdle (Anyone good with youtube that can explain this?

1653938819071.png

I would ALSO look at people who've become very popular producing NON-bonsai, but informative content..
Excellent suggestion. This is a broad-scope thinking I love.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for that.
Youtube star? I really should change the name of my channel to "Just a tall guy growing little trees"!

OK, lets just stick with, good to know you man!

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, you were right. But this was faster than expected. Funnily enough.. Remember this guy from south africa making a video about japanese maple cuttings a year or so ago.. My video about japanese maple cuttings is the one causing a big stir on the channel.

The cat is Harvey, a visitor to our house whenever our Portugese friends go home. Typically we have him 2 months per year at our place. He stars in an upcoming video on budget bonsai!
I’m sure the South African guy lacks your charm 😂😂. It’s not just the content but also the person behind it. I’ve watched some great tropical plant videos which although the content was great I really had to concentrate to understand the words due to strong accents.
You voice is clear and concise. Yes you can hear that you are Dutch but it’s nowhere near as strong as some Dutch accents I have heard. You also don’t mumble or swallow half your vowels. It’s just pleasant to listen to and easy to understand.
Then we have your personality shining through, add your endless knowledge and taaa daaaa you cannot loose.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There's a couple others I'd like to recommend, Jelle.

There is a channel called "Know your land" About foraging, wild collection for edible and medicinal intents in the Northern North American Continent. the operator is VERY knowledgeable, passionate about subject matter AND, like you, casts that wide, "I like this guy" net. ... His INFORMATION is GREAT... he's super likeable and charismatic... but his subscribers are LOW.. I believe this to be due to his lack of the "Passion for finished product and presentation" I spoke of earlier. (I don't think he cares... he still makes a large amount of content, for almost 7 years now.)

On the other end., we have Tanner from the channel 'Serpa Design'... Uttmost knowledge, passion for subject matter AND passion for "Presentation/finished product"... He IS.. shy and reserved.. less energetic.. but CONSISTENTLY.. like.. that just IS him, no matter the comfort level.. so once you understand this.. the "I like that guy" net is still pretty wide.
But I believe his passion for CREATING/presenting "finished product", is more important here, as he has MANY more subscribers than the first channel I discussed

Top Bottom