Ficus Benjamina “wiandi”

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I like your front. But I like the back as the front, personal taste and flow. I feel weird about it because I think I'd normally go with your front as my front...
I think it’s the canopy, it seems like it flows better because the back has the first branch moving back and the branch above it moves towards you bringing the canopy forward so in this view the first branch adds depth. In the front everything is reversed, so the first branch, comes forward as it “should,” but then the branch above it moves away creating a negative space. At least this is what I can take from the picture. Either way it’s a nice tree. I like the chosen front but would let the new growth grow upwards a bit on that first branch to fill in some of the “space.”

Hartinez

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it’s the canopy, it seems like it flows better because the back has the first branch moving back and the branch above it moves towards you bringing the canopy forward so in this view the first branch adds depth. In the front everything is reversed, so the first branch, comes forward as it “should,” but then the branch above it moves away creating a negative space. At least this is what I can take from the picture. Either way it’s a nice tree. I like the chosen front but would let the new growth grow upwards a bit on that first branch to fill in some of the “space.”
thanks guys. Yeah it’s a trick tree to“train” in general because of its growth patterns and brittle branches, but I really feel I dialed in the basic structure and just plan on letting the tree fill in and the trunk thicken up, hence the oversized pot. It’s amazing how much thickening the tree does when multiple branches are present. That trunk section between the first branch and second is beginning to show inverse taper signs and I fear it’ll only get worse. But it’scertainly thicker, even from just winter growth.

Hartinez

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The difference from November to now is pretty striking, considering it’s only sat in a south Gavin window all summer. A couple more years and this tree should have some girth. 5A809492-49AA-4265-90CD-9CBA0831ADBF.jpeg

DBPooper

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks guys. Yeah it’s a trick tree to“train” in general because of its growth patterns and brittle branches, but I really feel I dialed in the basic structure and just plan on letting the tree fill in and the trunk thicken up, hence the oversized pot. It’s amazing how much thickening the tree does when multiple branches are present. That trunk section between the first branch and second is beginning to show inverse taper signs and I fear it’ll only get worse. But it’scertainly thicker, even from just winter growth.
I think that's right. After looking at the pictures again. The negative space and the added depth with the first branch moving back.
I initially posted because of that tic I had inside...not so much as a critique.
I like the tree and appreciate the work done. Very nice.