Ficus in Ruins

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I will be interested to see how these grow. I've only ever had algal blooms and rotting roots when adding nutrients to still water containers. I think the circulating nutrient solution and root access to air in hyroponics setup is a far cry from a static container.
Ficus are pretty tough and resilient so maybe they can survive and maybe even grow?

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A number of examples in this post on his special show last year:
His exhibition at the Arboretum was the first time they've ever featured a single artist. Quite an honor if you ask me.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will be interested to see how these grow. I've only ever had algal blooms and rotting roots when adding nutrients to still water containers
I float cuttings in an aquarium with a filter and fish. I am pretty sure I posted pictures a few months ago.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've just started with an aquaponics setup and the plants are thriving but both your fish tank and my aquaponics system have circulating, oxygenated water. All attempts to add fertiliser to cuttings rooted in canning jars, etc with still water have resulted in sudden algal blooms and rotted roots for me.
Not saying it will certainly happen here, in fact I'm hoping it will be OK. Just pointing out my experiences for those who are interested.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use no fertilizer as the fish waste is more than sufficient. All aquariums produce some algae if they have lights but my snails control most of it. It has been up and running for several months and produced some nice rooted ficus.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I use no fertilizer as the fish waste is more than sufficient. All aquariums produce some algae if they have lights but my snails control most of it. It has been up and running for several months and produced some nice rooted ficus.
Agreed. No issue with aquaponics as already mentioned. Note that the OP is not using an aquarium or aquaponics or hydroponics. He/she is planning to grow in a drink bottle filled with water. No mention of circulation, no mention of aeration, just a plan to add nutrient to a still bottle of water with rooted cuttings. I foresee problems. I hope I'm wrong but at least I am trying to focus on the issue at hand.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bottle needs to be covered to omit light. I have done this.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Everything I’ve read about the Kratky method states that the container‘s contents need to be shielded from light because of algae. I attempted to do that with paint, but the white and orange paint wasn’t enough.

I’ve just covered it in aluminum foil to cut the light. It should also protect the ficus from aliens trying to communicate with it. (Joke.)

For those doubting whether a non-circulated hydroponics system will work, please Google the Kratky method. I’m hopeful.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It should also protect the ficus from aliens trying to communicate with it. (Joke.)
Glad you mentioned it was a joke. Because everybody knows that Alien technology is not hampered by alu foil :)

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hmmmmmm. Took a look under the foil at the roots; they’re turning brown.
Wonder if I should scrap the nutrients and go back to plain tap water?

Last edited:

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
In a still water system, one much use a very low dose of fertilizer compared to what one would use in a pot with soil & drainage. I'd use 1/8th to 1/16th the dose recommended for "terrestrial systems". Too much can kill roots.

Thanks—will dilute and see what happens.

Top Bottom