Ficus, seedling, fungus, or pest

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone,

Weeks I’ve been noticing what it seems like white spots on the top of the leaf and brown splotches underneath the leaf.

Is this fungus? Or is this spider mites? Or am I wrong all the way around?

I have sprayed once a week for the past two weeks with a fungicide pesticide combination.

Thanks in advance!

SA E416A96E-AE6D-488B-B8B0-2457897ABEC4.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C0CA55F-5C53-41D3-9FD5-C71EB3D0637F.jpeg
    8C0CA55F-5C53-41D3-9FD5-C71EB3D0637F.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 19
  • EEADCB4B-DFBA-41A0-B5F1-0A7F048614A1.jpeg
    EEADCB4B-DFBA-41A0-B5F1-0A7F048614A1.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 18

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks like scale which is a generic term for "Lots of tiny bugs that suck the juice out of your tree and when they poop, they make hard shell structures that look like scales".
I wipe mine down with 50/50 alcohol and it will dry them out. Some people like dish soap and water but I have never done it.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The white spots are a normal part of the leaf. I don’t know what the brown marks are, but it almost looks like the leaf was pressed against the substrate and bruised by the substrate granules.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like scale which is a generic term for "Lots of tiny bugs that suck the juice out of your tree and when they poop, they make hard shell structures that look like scales".
I wipe mine down with 50/50 alcohol and it will dry them out. Some people like dish soap and water but I have never done it.

It’s definitely not scale. Do you see any scale insects? I certainly don’t.

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks so much! I would’ve never thought scale to be that small. That’s why I didn’t even think that’s what that was. I’m used to seeing the big scale like you see on Little gem magnolias.

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The white spots are a normal part of the leaf. I don’t know what the brown marks are, but it almost looks like the leaf was pressed against the substrate and bruised by the substrate granules.
Interestingly enough, these leaves have never been touched and have been growing relatively well on their own.

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did not see any insects. I did see little small spiderwebs and that’s what I thought was spider mites. Since I’ve been spraying with insecticide and fungicide, I have not seen any spiderwebs.

The brown spots look very organic in form almost like squiggly boring.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I thought that was called scale, maybe I am wrong? It is some sort of little bugs. But yes, they would be invisible to the naked eye. Regardless, I get them on my tropicals every winter and if you spray them with alcohol mix, the spots turn black and dry up. Maybe wait 3 days between sprayings, otherwise you can damage your tree. A qtip would probably work better but I don't have the patience for that at the moment.
I did have a plant with mites several years ago and those are visible and very different. I managed to get rid of them the same way.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I thought that was called scale, maybe I am wrong? It is some sort of little bugs. But yes, they would be invisible to the naked eye. Regardless, I get them on my tropicals every winter and if you spray them with alcohol mix, the spots turn black and dry up. Maybe wait 3 days between sprayings, otherwise you can damage your tree. A qtip would probably work better but I don't have the patience for that at the moment.
I did have a plant with mites several years ago and those are visible and very different. I managed to get rid of them the same way.
The scale I've seen looks like this.

Scale-Insects-on-the-Stem-of-a-Plant.jpg
and this
Wax_Scale.jpg
And they bleed when you squish em.

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok…. Used a small paint brush with 50/50 water and alcohol. Let’s see how this little guy will do!

Attachments

• 8EE2EA66-DCBF-409F-BE6F-88672B0D20C7.jpeg
    8EE2EA66-DCBF-409F-BE6F-88672B0D20C7.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 7

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just stumbled on a different thread recommending 2 table spoons of liquid dish soap in 1 gallon of water, then spray it on the leaves. If you are still having issues, that might be worth a shot.

Top Bottom