Ficus

BonsaiWes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok,

Here is a Ficus from the soil it stands a mighty 9 7/8" tall in leaf, I posted this tree at bonsaiTalk like 6-8 months ago. We talked about the hollowing of the trunk then(I don't have that pic since the forum is resting), some where against it some where not. The deadwood is the least of the problems I think so not bothering about it. I included a pic from late last year I believe, lucky I found it as now I don't have to defoliate. The main lines haven't really changed they seemed ok? so mostly I have just toyed with secondary growth and the partial hollowing. Anyway, what needs to be done from here for the tree? What would you like to see?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The areas that stick out most to me are:

1) The thickness and the angle of the primary branches. In my opinion they are too thick for the tree. However if you do not want to remove them, I would at least pull them down so they were not angled so upright.

2) The lack of secondary main branches. Past the two primary branches there are no other branches until you approach the canopy. You will want to develop other branches on the trunk above the two primary branches.

3) The slingshot split in the trunk at the very top. Personally I would eliminate it and keep one side or the other.

The great thing about ficus is that you can cut back hard and get new growth. I think you would want to make some structural changes to this tree before you started worrying about ramification development and detail work.

BonsaiWes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

The areas that stick out most to me are:

1) The thickness and the angle of the primary branches. In my opinion they are too thick for the tree. However if you do not want to remove them, I would at least pull them down so they were not angled so upright.

**This part here I have to disagree with (although I could be waaaay wrong). Upward branches and thick "sub trunks" that become part of the crown is what makes the style. Maybe spreading them a little more or adding some curving to the lines would help?

2) The lack of secondary main branches. Past the two primary branches there are no other branches until you approach the canopy. You will want to develop other branches on the trunk above the two primary branches.

**Right, I have tried like heck to get this tree to fill in. There is some back budding happening along the main right branch so that might help down the road.

3) The slingshot split in the trunk at the very top. Personally I would eliminate it and keep one side or the other.

**I had thought about this as well, the fork is so usefull for retaining the crown and since it is a ficus beng. and not ment to be seen leafless I opted to leave it. there should be someone to make these kind of choices for us.

The great thing about ficus is that you can cut back hard and get new growth. I think you would want to make some structural changes to this tree before you started worrying about ramification development and detail work.

** Shohins are so dang hard, I was hoping leaf size and ramification was all I really needed to worry about here. Making one small change could result in a big problem since the canvas is so tiny.

..ideas? ideas? Anyone?

Last edited:

BonsaiWes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is the tree today with a couple of his friends, I keep thinking I should make a group planting out of these.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There so close together in size and feel that there would not be much interest in making this into a group. I would think much more variation would be the order of the day to make it more intersting. I feel my foemina forest suffers from this type of ho hum grouping of trees. It is just there and while large and the trees tall, there is nothing evocative nor interesting about the group to make you go "whoa! thats awesome".

I still think the bengi in the middle has the most character and possibilities. I would stick with it for a few more years before you decide.

Cheers, Al

BonsaiWes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the reply. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wes, a group planting might work, but I like the tree and think it has potential as it is. I honestly don't think hollowing the trunk is an option on ficus, even with wood hardener it would rot very quickly. I'd really like to see the back of this tree. In my opinion, it might work in the style you are heading for, but it would really need a major nebari to really set it off. Finding a way to spread the base without air-layering would be a challenge, but I'd like to see the lower part of the trunk spread to a big nebari to balance the strong trunk and massive branches.

BonsaiWes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will get some images up this weekend KC.

Top Bottom