Field Grown Tree

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes it had a very large tap root growing almost exactly in the center of the ball and it was about two inches across. I plan on showing all this stuff later in the week when we start playing with two tridents and how to develop each in the field.

Looking forward to reading this. Just finished putting in two 6x8 ft grow boxes for ground growing and have some material in nursery containers that need to be grown out for a few years.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great tree Al! as usual :p

About to put a couple grow beds in the back yard the first part of spring as well.... I've got a bunch of black pines and shimps that need to grow out for a decade or so :p (we'll see if I can go faster than that) look forward to ur ground growing info... should be great (see now you have to live up to the expectations :p )

Mikee002

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
great, now I just have to figure out which part of my very tiny yard I'm going to "field grow" a few tridents!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My backyard has a southern exposure. Right now I have the Wizard of Oz maple and the large trident I bought from Steve on the edge of the patio. There it recieves full sun all day till 7 PM. It wil go under some trees next week as the temps are in the 90's now.

The Steve maple is doing pretty well. It will continue to grow for the next month and then I will cut it back first of July and wire the stubs. It will push second spring growth around Sept.

Attachments

• DSC_00090002.JPG
    DSC_00090002.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_000100012.JPG
    DSC_000100012.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 172

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Stay tuned for more on growing in the field as I explain about two types of trees and how to develop them best for bonsai.

Did I miss this update?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Buds on or near those scars?

There are many scars already on this tree, and many of them are close to being closed.

Smoke,
When a tree has scars that heal on the trunk, do buds ever develop right on that healed area? Or, is that healed area forever just bark?.....and buds would only, possibly, develop around that scar area.

My trees with scars are American Elm. The healing is going very well...just wondering about future growth possibilities.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did I miss this update?

Nope, just havn't had time with my wifes cancer surgery and such. Summer was just too damn hot and I did nothing this year with the tridents except prune and water. Fall is here though and now I will have to play catch-up.

Smoke,
When a tree has scars that heal on the trunk, do buds ever develop right on that healed area? Or, is that healed area forever just bark?.....and buds would only, possibly, develop around that scar area.

My trees with scars are American Elm. The healing is going very well...just wondering about future growth possibilities.

I have no idea, but my gut answer would be no. I have grafted successfully onto healed scars and the surrounding scar tissue. I will check this out this weekend and let you know.

Top Bottom