filed growing osakasuki

baazzaa

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,

I new to bonsai, well have had a few over the years, nothing to serious, I have an osakazuki
planted in my garden since last year, it about two years old I guess, I bought it in a graden store,its around two feet high, i plan on this being my first field grown bonsai,
it no where near the trunk width I want it to be so it will be a few years yet,
So I was wondering should I just leave it alone for another couple of years or so,or I need to do anything with it next spring,where should I go from here.Any advice would be great,sorry just noticed I said filed growing instead of field.

Thanks all,

Last edited:

Pine Barron

Yamadori
Reaction score
They are lovely maples. One of my favorite. Is yours grafted? Can you take a picture of the graft union? I have several nice maples that are grafted and I am growing them out right now. I have no plans to try to deal with the graft however. What I am going to do is grow them for a lil while and then airlayer branches off and put these airlayered branches back in the ground for a couple of years. I can't stand a decent looking bonsai with a bad graft.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To get any advantage from field growing, the tree should be left in the ground at least three years--the more time, the larger the trunk will get. You can do subsequent root pruning while it's in the ground, but every time you do, you set yourself back a bit. The idea of in-ground growing is to allow maximum root run for the tree. The more you fiddle with the roots (digging them up to flatten out the root mass, etc) while it is in the ground, you lose a bit of momentum for the tree.

It is best to work the root pad BEFORE you plant it inthe ground -- flattening out the profile of the root mass, so the remaining roots grow OUT from the trunk and not directly DOWN from it...

baazzaa

Seedling
Reaction score
thanks to you both for replying,

No grafting has been done,i wouldnt know were to begin to be honest,the art is new to me so im only getting going,

the tree itself is very nice,well balanced,the plan is to leave it alone and let it do its ownthing,
next year or the year after I might root prune,then put it back for another couple of years,at that stage it I will check it truck size,I wont be cutting it back untill i get that big truck,ill post picture as it grows

thanks for the help again,

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
baazzaa by grafted, he didn't mean did you graft it, often from landscape nurseries they graft them for growth potential. Can you post a picture.

What rock said is good advice.

baazzaa

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank Bill,

Yes I wasnt sure what was meant by grafted, Im not sure if the plant has been grafted,ill put up a pic when leaves are fully out,id say about a week now,there getting there, weve had has some great growing weather here in Ireland so the plants are trees have been coming along nicely,Ill thow up some photos of my other jap maple trees, I have two Sango Kaku and two buetiful Dissectum Garnet side by side,like two brothers, i bought them together,I also have an OSHIO Beni, that I may turn bonsai, another two or three years Id say, its growing in a lagre half barrell,

How do I Load up pics

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When you hit the reply button there is a manage attachments button, hit that and browse your pc for the photo, viola. You do need to keep the file size down though, check the general section for a thread on posting photos, it tells you file and photo sizes to use.

you most likely didn't realize it as a no no but in the futue please consider the abbreviation for Japanese as somewhat rude, just use a J. instead of Jap. and all will be right with the interwebs.;)

baazzaa

Seedling
Reaction score
cheers bill, Ill be cafeful with that, dont want to ruffle anyones leaves hahah,

ill get those photos up as soon as the leaves are out,thanks again

Top Bottom