Find the Mantis

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
I found this bug on one of my pines. Had to google it to find out what it is.

This is a Lichen Mantis.... Wonder how it got its name?

Attachments

• Pc300209.jpg
    Pc300209.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Pc300210.jpg
    Pc300210.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Pc300213.jpg
    Pc300213.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 98

wahoo172

Yamadori
Reaction score
Jay, you got some weird critters livin up there in the swamp.

Is that pine bonsai? If it is, you should bring it to the meeting Thursday

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey George, If you think the critters are weird, you should see the people that live out here:)

The pine is a bonsai....kind of. It's a slash pine I play with and at a little over three feet, it's too big to carry around casually. I'll probably just bring an elm or two. If you think I should, I do have a small slash pine I could bring.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Slash pine

Hey George, If you think the critters are weird, you should see the people that live out here:)

The pine is a bonsai....kind of. It's a slash pine I play with and at a little over three feet, it's too big to carry around casually. I'll probably just bring an elm or two. If you think I should, I do have a small slash pine I could bring.

Jay,

can you post a full picture of your Slash pine by chance?

-dorothy

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
How very cool!!! I love critters like this!

Thanks for sharing!

I am assuming you left it there to watch over your pine?

Jason

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Dorothy,
You would ask to see this pine....... I've seen your slash pine over at IBC, and I'd be a bit embarrased to show mine. Right now it's shaggy and unkempt and even if it was trimmed up it's not very good at all.
I'll take a picture today and PM it to you.

Jason,
I love things like this too.

I left it alone, of course.... it stayed around for a couple of weeks before leaving for wherever mantis' leave for.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Slash pine

Jay,

no need to be embarrassed about showing a tree,however it is a good sign..:D
Here is the Slash pine from the IBC forum,but with loooong hair..

-dorothy

Attachments

• BNIMG_4576_edited.jpg
    BNIMG_4576_edited.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Ken Duncan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jay, Cool bug!
Here is a pic of a tree frog I found on one of my crape myrtle bonsai.
I took it off of the ground and put it up on a bench to work on it one day and after about 5 minutes I saw something move out of the corner of my eye, had to look real hard.The picture does not show it but his color blended in perfect with the bark. I showed it to my Wife and she could not see it till I almost touched it.
Ken

Attachments

• treefrog.jpg
    treefrog.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 50
Reaction score
Walter--hate to tell you your "butterfly" is a moth. Common name for the Genus would be "Sphinx" the species I do not know. The mantis would snatch it up for a snack in a heartbeat. Be well--Greg

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
i used to have a mantis, it lived from spring through to autumn, laid an ootheca (egg case) which i put into a clear plastic container with airholes but the wife kept putting it into a cupboard, i kept bringing it out, eventually i forgot and when i eventually retrieved it, there were about eight tiny (very dead) praying mantis inside, i could have throttled the wife:mad: :mad: , the poor things must have starved to death, i knew that certain mantids don't need a male to produce young, this was one of them....

the mother reached about 4/5 inches in length and as she was dying, she fell on her side so i offered my finger to help her right herself and almost screamed when she grabbed it, they have very sharp, thorney bits that they keep a hold of their prey with and they really dug in:eek:

very nice pics, we don't get anything as nice here in the uk (not wild anyhow....)

rgds, john:)

Top Bottom