First Air Laying Attempt

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The curl leaf mountain mahogany in the yard. Branch is about an inch or so thick.
IMG_20210430_165959_930.jpg
IMG_20210430_165658_791.jpg
Don't like the tape wrapped that way, but the plastic bread bag I used kept trying to open up.
Felt lucky finding some old burlap for rooting medium. 😁 Holds moisture well, lots of gaps for roots to grow into. Just have to wait and see.
Maybe this fall I'll be cutting it off, and laying those roots out in... 😕
🤔🤔
😦
FRICKIN' BURLAP?! 🤬
What was I thinking?
I'll never get that crap out of the roots! 😤
Oh, well.
Ain't changing it now.

Your two cents?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Olde School air layer 😉

Nice experiment. I hear burlap decomposes in 5-7 years. Anyways sounds fun. The only thing I’d hope for is to layer a more vertical branch.

Good luck!
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Interesting choice of rooting medium.
Burlap will decompose in the ground in a single year and worms love the stuff. Add fert for even faster decomposition. I'd say you should be able to spread out the roots in the spring following rooting but only time will tell.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Olde School air layer 😉

Nice experiment. I hear burlap decomposes in 5-7 years. Anyways sounds fun. The only thing I’d hope for is to layer a more vertical branch.

Good luck!
DSD sends

It was the branch I could reach, with the nicest curves and still young wood. I imagine if it works out I'll still wind up potting it as a slant, or possibly semi-cascade depending on how much of the top growth I keep.

These usually only grow on the western slopes of the Rocky Mountains, so I don't have many first hand examples in nature to go off of for styling or growth habits.
I know @scottc and @Kvolk have worked with them some, and I've read some of their threads. Maybe they wouldn't mind weighing on.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
First attempt, and bingo!
I1628698229.jpg
Not easy to see, but those are gobs of roots in there. Wanna know the funny part? When I did this I was in such a hurry I totally forgot the rooting hormone powder. And it still worked!

Not going to separate it yet. I'll treat the separation like a collection, do a bit of research if there's anything on this, and cut it in the appropriate time of year, at least as long as that's before any hard freezes. Don't want to lose those beautiful roots.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First attempt, and bingo!
View attachment 391118
Not easy to see, but those are gobs of roots in there. Wanna know the funny part? When I did this I was in such a hurry I totally forgot the rooting hormone powder. And it still worked!

Not going to separate it yet. I'll treat the separation like a collection, do a bit of research if there's anything on this, and cut it in the appropriate time of year, at least as long as that's before any hard freezes. Don't want to lose those beautiful roots.
Nice Job! I love air layering, it’s so rewarding!!!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice Job! I love air layering, it’s so rewarding!!!
Thank you. Just need to find something to plant it in, and the best time to separate it. I have no clue how well these backbud, so I'm nervouse about it. I'm afraid there won't be enough root for the mass of the branch. There was no worries if it had failed! LOL

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Non treated burlap rots in a single season but treated burlap can last a few years. Used 100s of burlap squares to b&b trees.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The curl leaf mountain mahogany in the yard. Branch is about an inch or so thick.
View attachment 371720
View attachment 371721

Don't like the tape wrapped that way, but the plastic bread bag I used kept trying to open up.
Felt lucky finding some old burlap for rooting medium. 😁 Holds moisture well, lots of gaps for roots to grow into. Just have to wait and see.
Maybe this fall I'll be cutting it off, and laying those roots out in... 😕
🤔🤔
😦
FRICKIN' BURLAP?! 🤬
What was I thinking?
I'll never get that crap out of the roots! 😤
Oh, well.
Ain't changing it now.

Your two cents?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you. Just need to find something to plant it in, and the best time to separate it. I have no clue how well these backbud, so I'm nervouse about it. I'm afraid there won't be enough root for the mass of the branch. There was no worries if it had failed! LOL
For your zone, it’s too late to separate now. I would leave it on the tree until the new leaves fully harden off in the spring. Separate the layer and cutback the top to take some pressure off of the new root system.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For your zone, it’s too late to separate now. I would leave it on the tree until the new leaves fully harden off in the spring. Separate the layer and cutback the top to take some pressure off of the new root system.
Any suggestions on protecting the new roots through winter? They're generally mild, but always dips well below freezing at night, and zub-zero F occasionally.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Personally I have never had a layer go over the winter. I usually layer before leaves open up in winter, and am ready to seperate by July/early August.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I'll wait as long into fall/winter as I can before the night time freezes start getting too low, and hope it's dormant enough not to panic over being moved. This could be November, or it could be September, or it could be February or March. Winters around here are notoriously unpredictable.

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
congrats on the air layering! I agree with @Tidal Bonsai. I would continue growing those roots to grow to stabilize the "new" tree. just have to think, the bigger the tree, the more roots it will need

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think… you should cut it off,planted in your chosen substrate, then placed the in a safe location away from winter weather when the time comes … that way fall will allow those roots / vascular system to develop more as they’re active and on their own. It won’t have to worry about gaining sugars and carbohydrates via photosynthesis like it did in the growing season,it will have that stored energy and focus on growing more roots / vascular system.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think… you should cut it off,planted in your chosen substrate, then placed the in a safe location away from winter weather when the time comes … that way fall will allow those roots / vascular system to develop more as they’re active and on their own. It won’t have to worry about gaining sugars and carbohydrates via photosynthesis like it did in the growing season,it will have that stored energy and focus on growing more roots / vascular system.
This was where I was thinking, but finding a safe place where it won't be over taxed has proven the hard part. Kinda in between weird up in the air situations right now. I know I'll want to cut if back some, but I'm not sure how much. I've never even seen this species in the wild before- they don't generally grow on this side of the mountains- so I'm really at a loss. I don't want to blow this one because the one tree I have access to is scheduled for eventual chopping.

Top Bottom