First real styling on a juniper cascade

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is my first try going for a full on cascade. It's gone through a couple steps but sadly i dont have any pictures, so im just going to start from here. The left most branch is going to follow the contour of the inner curve as it grows out to lead to the apex pad that will be raised from the main trunk some and pushed to the right so that trees apex will be over the lip of the final pot. The lowest pad is going to be brought more horizontal, be more on line with the one above it, once the 1st half of the trunk thinkens alittle more.
20190901_141617.jpg

20190901_141639.jpg

Here's acouple from the other side which both the wife and I feel has some style but is too busy for a good front.

20190901_141746.jpg

20190901_141753.jpg

I know the pads need work i wanted to leave enough to work with and it should grow into itself nicely. I more and welcome any advise on where to go from here.

20190901_141654.jpg

20190901_141817.jpg

20190901_141823.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think these branches could use a little more zig-zag. They're almost devoid of foliage except for the tips, over time it's going to bore you, I think. Simply because they're so straight.
Zig-zagging them would roughen up the look, add some interest and age, and it would compact your design making it look a little less skinny.

I think your wiring is better than mine, and as far as I know procumbens, I think those pads don't need a whole lot of work; they basically grow themselves at some point. You could clip and grow those pretty easily with hardly any wire.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think these branches could use a little more zig-zag. They're almost devoid of foliage except for the tips, over time it's going to bore you, I think. Simply because they're so straight.
Zig-zagging them would roughen up the look, add some interest and age, and it would compact your design making it look a little less skinny.

I think your wiring is better than mine, and as far as I know procumbens, I think those pads don't need a whole lot of work; they basically grow themselves at some point. You could clip and grow those pretty easily with hardly any wire.
Yea i agree. With the length of the branch and the way the main trunk and the lowest branch split, i need the main line to thinken little more so i can make a more distinct curve.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A little more branch "wiggle" would be good, but it is the cross over branch that I find disturbing.
Which branchdo you mean as a cross over, the right most that goes to the top, or the one off the main trunk to the middle pad?

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also, does anyone know of some good reading material on pruning the pads?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also, does anyone know of some good reading material on pruning the pads?
Post 10 here
and in the resource tab perhaps.

If you’re going to do the full on cascade you mention
you should have a few more to work with.

I would suggest to put some sort of feet or spacers at the bottom corners of that pot for drainage
and air flow.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A little more branch "wiggle" would be good, but it is the cross over branch that I find disturbing.
Disturbing yes, but I don’t see any wiggle room left in the remaining foliage.
Trunk had promising movement, but the foliage was gutted.
This does leave a couple pads to practice development on though but starting over
is the only way to get the desired outcome.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is my first try going for a full on cascade. It's gone through a couple steps but sadly i dont have any pictures, so im just going to start from here. The left most branch is going to follow the contour of the inner curve as it grows out to lead to the apex pad that will be raised from the main trunk some and pushed to the right so that trees apex will be over the lip of the final pot. The lowest pad is going to be brought more horizontal, be more on line with the one above it, once the 1st half of the trunk thinkens alittle more.
View attachment 260456

View attachment 260458

Here's acouple from the other side which both the wife and I feel has some style but is too busy for a good front.

View attachment 260464

View attachment 260465

I know the pads need work i wanted to leave enough to work with and it should grow into itself nicely. I more and welcome any advise on where to go from here.

View attachment 260468

View attachment 260469

View attachment 260470

I feel your tree needs more movement in the branches. Your wiring "wraps" need to be closer (less space between the wraps) the way you have it wired now you risk braking the branches if you try to bend them with sharp bends.
I would rewire them with closer wraps. When you bend the branches keep in mind the way you put on the wire and bend with the wire. If you bend against the wire the wire will loosen. Also be sure when you bend you have a coil behind the bend to support the branch from braking. Use pliers when needed they can help tremendously making bends and keeping the wire tight.

Also adding movement will make the tree more compact. The bends take up branch length bringing the ends closer to the trunk.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 260456

View attachment 260458

View attachment 260464

View attachment 260465

View attachment 260468

View attachment 260469

View attachment 260470
Plan on cutting back to create back budding and have foliage to work in closer to the trunk and along the main branches.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel your tree needs more movement in the branches. Your wiring "wraps" need to be closer (less space between the wraps) the way you have it wired now you risk braking the branches if you try to bend them with sharp bends.
I would rewire them with closer wraps. When you bend the branches keep in mind the way you put on the wire and bend with the wire. If you bend against the wire the wire will loosen. Also be sure when you bend you have a coil behind the bend to support the branch from braking. Use pliers when needed they can help tremendously making bends and keeping the wire tight.

Also adding movement will make the tree more compact. The bends take up branch length bringing the ends closer to the trunk.
Nailed it. You will find when your done you have more room to grow at least one more pad possibly two.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Which branchdo you mean as a cross over, the right most that goes to the top, or the one off the main trunk to the middle pad?
The one that crosses outward and bent to cover the top. I am a nobody in terms of expertise, but I would like to see that straightened horizontal and encouraged to back bud for thickening. Then in a few years I would make it a Jin when it's thickness closely matched your first downward pad. Just a suggestion. I think it looks great man, and it will look even better with some more horizontal movement. Iwish I could get a cherry like this.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That branch is too thin....too long.....it grinds my gears......I want it gone.......I'm getting my shears.260579

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That branch is too thin....too long.....it grinds my gears......I want it gone.......I'm getting my shears.View attachment 260579
Yea i know, the reason its still a thing is.it was left over from a old pad that was to the left. I was keeping it mostly holding on to it till i made up my mind on what to do with it. But yea i think i needs to go.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh one more thing...done prune the pads. Pinch them back and thin them out a little.....

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That or i like the idea of useing it as a jin, it might really sell it as the top dieing off and needing to cascade.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
That or i like the idea of useing it as a jin, it might really sell it as the top dieing off and needing to cascade.
If so style it horizontally but try to also give it a slight vertical and horizontal wave similar to the main trunk, also to simulate that it was a load bearing branch. Maybe in 5 years or less instead of just making a Jin it might look more appealing as the start of a small Sharimiki. Although I think it's a bit low.

Maybe if your still feeling ambitious you could thread graft a cutting just before the first turn downward on the trunk next year and use that as the start of your sharimiki. It would appear like a more natural strike and could be combined with the lower Jin. Still like it as is. I will shut up as there are professionals here who will eventually offer better advice I am sure. Best of luck, looks great as is.

Top Bottom