First "transplant" for the Pink Rock larch forest

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
It was composed and has lived on this rock for years and years( 10-15 years?) and I never have pulled it off. I have poked in holes and packed in soil before but this year I decided it was time after I had increasingly noticed a little branch tip weakening. So with my faithful hot assistant I cleaned the pad up and scissored off a layer of roots, set it on a new thin layer of soil, cut in a few pockets from above and packed in soil, de-wired and partial re-wired---it took seven hours. It went well.
vrlvoru.jpg

and the final but crappy picture(it looks better than it is in the picture)
pD4iezS.jpg

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Crust,

That is one serious and impressive landscape forest planting. I would very much like to see a picture when it leaves out for the spring, pretty please!

Regards,
Martin

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Crust,

That is one serious and impressive landscape forest planting. I would very much like to see a picture when it leaves out for the spring, pretty please!

Regards,
Martin

If it ever turns spring! Right now it is 32 degrees and snowing--harrumph!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Really wish we could grow Larch here in Florida... :[

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a lot of project. It still amazes me how little soil larch can live on. And happily.
Your assistant needs a boa....
Bet that thing is heavy.
Nice.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Impressive work. Of course, with the ability to grow larch comes the wonderful spring weather we have here. Do you think we will go from snow to 90 degrees in one week when it finally breaks ? My growing season has been shortened by a month this year already.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wonderful larch forest, Crust! The slab and rocks fit the image perfectly. Very well done... now where is that envy emoticon...

BTW. I really enjoy all of your larches including the "Lenz inspired (or Lenz grown!)" eccentric plantings. Keep on posting!

Cory

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I keep looking at that photo, and can't keep my greedy eyes off that back left tree.
:eek:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, one of the best forest composition I've seen.

I keep looking at that photo, and can't keep my greedy eyes off that back left tree.
:eek:

While all can stand on their own...I like that very much too. :)

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So with my faithful hot assistant I cleaned the pad up and scissored off a layer of roots, set it on a new thin layer of soil, cut in a few pockets

Nice, very nice saikei

Wish I had a hot assistant, nice smile

Good Growing,

big D

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Before I get into any trouble here, I was talking about the tree!!!:p

You funny JudyBlue eyes

oh Crust, where you collect the stone.

It looks like the Yuha desert stone we get in local desert

Looks brown , not pink...you got pink?

Last edited:

Roberts

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's fantastic, I can't get over how thin that soil level is. How many times a day do you have to water in the heat of summer?

Robert

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
You funny JudyBlue eyes

oh Crust, where you collect the stone.

It looks like the Yuha desert stone we get in local desert

Looks brown , not pink...you got pink?
It is pink, light pink, not like rooster-dink-pink or anything, and it was acquired at my local brick and stone yard. A slab that is marketed for flagstone. I shaped the edges some.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
That's fantastic, I can't get over how thin that soil level is. How many times a day do you have to water in the heat of summer?

Robert
Twice--once in the late morning once in the early evening. If its not hot it does fine with a mid morning watering.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
That's a lot of project. It still amazes me how little soil larch can live on. And happily.
Your assistant needs a boa....
Bet that thing is heavy.
Nice.

I've tried to get her to just wear a boa... but she insists on being fully clothed--she can be fun but she draws the line if I have the camera out. The plant is pretty light but I was under there for some time with my scissor and other diabolic instruments but she toughed it out.

Top Bottom