Floating bonsai

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reminds me of the floating mountains in Avatar...:eek:

My response would be...Why oh Why oh Why ???

Reactions: Geo

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would definitely try this. Might be a bit gimmicky, but would certainly draw attention from the general public to a display area. I would have to be convinced of the stability. Does the tree need perfect radial symmetry for balance? Or to be of much less mass than the magnet?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would definitely try this. Might be a bit gimmicky, but would certainly draw attention from the general public to a display area. I would have to be convinced of the stability. Does the tree need perfect radial symmetry for balance? Or to be of much less mass than the magnet?
Probably the only way to answer these questions would be to get one yourself, and try, or to ask someone who has one. Good questions though.

Yep, I agree, Avatar references are passe, trite, pop culture has moved on. The point was not the movie reference, but that more than once displays were done with attempts to make the bonsai look like it was floating disconnected to the display stage. Acrylic, and very thin wire stands have been used with this effect in mind. So the idea of "bonsai visually appearing to float" is not a new idea. Now there is another way to pull it off.

Hey, the bonsai world has already been treated to a Larch in 1929 Hoover Vacuum, at what was billed as the "Most Significant Artistic Bonsai Show to Date in the USA", the Artist Cup. There also is the example of the Show organized by Robert Stevens in Indonesia, which included performance pieces with live dancers moving through the art & bonsai installations. And at that show also featured one display with a photo of Robert himself, sitting on a toilet, contemplating a bonsai. I guess levitated bonsai would be more trite than controversial.

IF the tree were well done, it could be put in a show. Definitely not the craziest display idea out there.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
I've been thinking a lot about this for a display method. a different version could easily be built using strong rare eath metal magnets and some fishing line. 2 strong magnets set n-n or s-s one in the pot one in the stand then just tether the pot to the stand with the fishing line stabilizing it and it would sit motionless "hovering" indefinetly. Now the tree wouldn't be spinning like that but you could do massive trees with a few magnets mounted into a stand and under or in the pot. . .

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
There are many no contact magnetic levitation devices out there.

This is the first one with "bonsai" attached to the name AFAIK. Hence the price.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would like it to move fast enough that it throws mites out of it....

How bout pruning while it's spinning?
Just angle that hedge pruner, turn em on....perfect helmet!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's going fast enough everything will grow outwards!

Juice it!

Sorce

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
My thoughts were that it seemed silly and not something I was interested in buying. I then tried to figure out the specific design. My curiousity...

Top Bottom