Flowering Almond

Plantermunn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a better one. The trunk flares where the branches start . that don't look good. I hope that is fixable.

Should I do some work on it. It is starting to leaf out.

I am itching to go. But don't want to set it back.

Attachments

• IMG_20150328_184120.jpg
    IMG_20150328_184120.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20150328_184143_1.jpg
    IMG_20150328_184143_1.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20150328_184054.jpg
    IMG_20150328_184054.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 83

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just got one of these this year after never seeing them before. Mine is strictly a nursery plant. I pruned it a couple of weeks ago in order to give the new growth plenty of time to set buds for next year's flowers. I can't say that I have ever seen a more prolific bloomer!

Plantermunn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I went ahead and cut the pot back to get a peek at the root flare. Of has one. They hurried it deep during the last potting.

Plantermunn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_20150329_105606.jpg IMG_20150329_104610.jpg IMG_20150329_105627.jpg Well I raised it quite a bit. You can see from the water mark. There were just a few roots above the new soil line.

Now for the top. Can it wait for a day or two?

Another question. Can I shorten the trunk over time?

I am glad someone said cuttings. I will save my prunings.

This tree just popped when I went into the store. At the first store I did not find one I liked I was headed home then turned back and went to another Lowes.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have almost no experience with these, so take what I say with a grain of salt, however it is always best to move slowly with bonsai or you will kill many trees :) Since you pretty aggressively re-potted, I would give this tree the rest of the year off, with the possible exception of taking some cuttings off new growth if you are so inclined. Make sure you don't touch the tree after June so you can have blooms next year. Then next year right after it blooms I would consider more dramatic pruning.

Plantermunn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my bonsai first attempt.

I just kind of leveled up the top a bit. Then I will try and root those. It did not shrivel up over note or drop all the leaves.
Day one a success.

My soil must be OK. The first inch was slightly moist the second felt wet. As the roots grow and it warms up might need to water daily.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have an almond, I need to up date my blog but it's in there

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking at the tree in flower I would be hesitant to cut below the start of branching. I would not be surprizes if it is a grafted specimen with a wild(er) rootstock & stem.

Plantermunn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok all this talk of root cuttings. Made me think. I just trimed some roots. So I dug them from the trash and potted them.

If they take will they bloom in the spring?

Or will it take another year?

You guys are turning me into a nut.

I dug up a couple of elms too. They are native here. People here call them piss elms. I'm not sure what they will do. I cut the tap roots and replanted them over plates.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Ok all this talk of root cuttings. Made me think. I just trimed some roots. So I dug them from the trash and potted them.

If they take will they bloom in the spring?

Or will it take another year?

You guys are turning me into a nut.

I dug up a couple of elms too. They are native here. People here call them piss elms. I'm not sure what they will do. I cut the tap roots and replanted them over plates.

Doubt they will flower. Most things take a few years. I had never heard the term "piss elm" so I looked it up read this link:
http://www.arborigin.com/ulmus-americana.html
While I had never heard this term, certainly do stink when you burn them.

Plantermunn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ulmas Americana.
That looks like it.

If the other roots take I can put them on the yard.

Top Bottom