Flowering almond

Nemoose

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I was at my local nursery and saw some very cool pink flowering almond bushes. I was wondering about the suitability as bonsai material.

Pretty stuff. Mine just decided to leave this world one day or I just failed. I didn't have it for too long though.

Very beautiful man, in my understanding u could make bonsai from anything, but the question is if u should, I will try to make bonsai with anything, but if you want to win competitions it's better to use an more mainstream species. So i guess it's a good start.

I have one in my landscape...They are known to get quite leggy. Needing a plant in front to disquise this issue. So,would imagine that something to consider. I've also heard they are short lived plants. If you have one for 10 years your lucky...so the neighbors say. Here is a link...which also touches on the short life span it's known as its fate. I do treat mine...with fungicide. Thinking maybe the short lifespan is from ones not offering a proactive direction toward issues.

http://www.gardenguides.com/115013-information-dwarf-flowering-almond.html
The dwarf flowering almond or Prunus glandulosa is used in shrub borders and as a specimen planting. It is susceptible to several diseases and pest infestations. This susceptibility reduces its life span to less than 10 years. The most serious pest infestation of the dwarf flowering almond is borers, and the most serious disease is verticillium wilt.

Back
Top Bottom