Flowers 2017

I rooted some cuttings a couple of years ago from an azalea that my father has, I am unsure of the name--possibly Kogetsu. Some of you got one of these in an offering from a previous thread. Mine are blooming now, thought that I would share.

The first two have multiple colored flowers

DSC03257-1.jpg

DSC03258-1.jpg

DSC03259-1.jpg

DSC03260-1.jpg

DSC03261-1.jpg

DSC03262-1.jpg

Others have variations of pink, some have just salmon blossoms, and some are red. I say to make a point that when taking cuttings, pay attention to the flowers. Branches with white flowers have the potential to make all colors, eventually. The reds will always be red, or so I have been told and read, we will see...

DSC03270-1.jpg

DSC03271-1.jpg

DSC03272-1.jpg

DSC03273-1.jpg

DSC03274-1.jpg

DSC03275-1.jpg

Some of the flowers are a little beat up from the bad weather we have been having.

Omai no mama Ume. Interesting that one branch has all white and another has all pink. Only one tiny section of white flowers on the pink branch. Also cool is the touch of pink on a few of the white flowers.
IMG_0728.JPG
IMG_0729.JPG
IMG_0727.JPG

John,
Are you doing anything bonsai related to these at this stage? I bought 40 of these last year, about half are in the ground right now and the other half are in pots just like yours. The trunk is about pencil thick and have a lot of branches similar to yours.
Thanks,
NN

Right now I am just growing them out. I do work on the roots, trying to keep the root mass thin so it will go into a bonsai pot when it is time. I also prune here or there and use some wire to shape the trunks. They will thicken in a larger pot. These started out as pencil lead size cuttings, some even smaller.

Right now I am just growing them out. I do work on the roots, trying to keep the root mass thin so it will go into a bonsai pot when it is time. I also prune here or there and use some wire to shape the trunks. They will thicken in a larger pot. These started out as pencil lead size cuttings, some even smaller.
Thanks.

I'm all crap with photos... excuse me.
But I would like to contribute my most humble Chaenomeles. Nursery stock in training since Feb. 2015
As of last March it gave me a lot of flowers. I have retained them while I had removed them in previous years. I wanted to enjoy them!

IMG_3161_zpsuqlouk4z.jpg
IMG_3155_zpsk6dm06xx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom