Folks ask me, where do you get your trees....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We've had one here in south Louisiana this week. Problem is, they're already dead when they sell them, it just doesn't show yet. Then they tell people that the junipers will do fine indoors.

That's one thing that makes me want to throttle these people. We have had him up here as well...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For Heaven's sake why do you want to throttle them? It's not their fault people buy what they're selling without understanding what they're plunking their money down for. It's not them who take the tree home, put it on the bookshelf/television top/windowsill and then complain about it dieing. They're not the ones who don't notice the tree is dead and has been for weeks.

I think these folks kind of do bonsai a bit of a service of sorts. They tend to separate the "do-ers" from the folks looking for knick-knacks. How many of the people here started out with a tree from a vendor like this one? How many long-time bonsaiists can remember their first crappy overpriced vendor tree? I can. When I plunked down my $50 for a juni in a 8" pot almost two decades ago, I wouldn't have believed I'd just bought into a lifelong interest. I was just looking for something to put on the TV...

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I like seeing these bonsai vans! Every time my kids see one, they would yell out " Look Daddy! bonsai!" which makes me feel good. The trees don't look all that bad from far away, just don't get too close. I have never stopped by one before.

Here's a bonsai "van" from Mexico. The bonsai look pretty good to me! I don't know where I got this picture (I apologize to the owner of it).

Si

Attachments

• Mexican bonsai shop.jpg
    Mexican bonsai shop.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For Heaven's sake why do you want to throttle them? It's not their fault people buy what they're selling without understanding what they're plunking their money down for. It's not them who take the tree home, put it on the bookshelf/television top/windowsill and then complain about it dieing. They're not the ones who don't notice the tree is dead and has been for weeks.

I want to throttle them for taking what could be a genuine budding interest like yours was, and dooming it to a short life by intentionally giving bad information. I could care less that they sell these overpriced likely dead trees... what I do care about, is the mis-information/lie they sell along with it.

I have stopped and talked to one of these people... because one of them had a decent sized elm... but as soon as he figured out that I knew what I was about, he didn't want to have anything to do with me. They prey on ignorance.

Anyone who would say a juniper will grow well in a house is deserving of a good throttling in order to help balance out all that negative karma.

;)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to throttle them for taking what could be a genuine budding interest like yours was, and dooming it to a short life by intentionally giving bad information. I could care less that they sell these overpriced likely dead trees... what I do care about, is the mis-information/lie they sell along with it.

I have stopped and talked to one of these people... because one of them had a decent sized elm... but as soon as he figured out that I knew what I was about, he didn't want to have anything to do with me. They prey on ignorance.

Anyone who would say a juniper will grow well in a house is deserving of a good throttling in order to help balance out all that negative karma.

;)

Spend a couple hours a week here like I do and this place or vans of crappy trees won't seem so bad.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Well, at least you don't have to pay shipping or sales tax.........:D
I wonder how much income tax he pays...:confused:

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom