Forest of Shito

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
kk do seeds do well using this method in Singing Pines - UK, errrrrrrr England?

Edit:...tried finding Sing Pines to see the growing conditions i.e. coastal wind ....where is that exactly

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
kk do seeds do well using this method in Singing Pines - UK, errrrrrrr England?

Edit:...tried finding Sing Pines to see the growing conditions i.e. coastal wind ....where is that exactly

Google Earth found this little village in Uganda, where a child lives that we support, but it couldn't find Singing Pines, England.............strange

keep it green,
Harry

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well it will be called singing pines as soon as Kong's seeds germinate and start singing as well......

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That must be your contribution.

They follow a Snide leader,sad really.

I think it would be a very rocky road to try and compare contributions on the internet with me.

Contributions...hah! you don't even understand the concept.

dcartier

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is a techique to a satisfying seed rearing experience.

Buy more than you need or could possibly deal with.

Sow them all without regard to spacing.

Leave them exposed to your elements.

Thrill as they germinate.

Observe small forests emerging and segregate any barren seed trays.

Choose to pot on as a clump or individually.

Throw any soil remaining onto a patch of earth,the barren seed trays contents also go here.

Water and feed your beauties,examine the patch of earth for signs of life.

Pinch out the tips and later extend the growing season with a cold frame or greenhouse.

Buy new all different seed for next year and in the spring keep an eye on your patch of earth for last years seed that didn't do anything.

Continue yearly.

The patch of earth is important.

I am with you Klytus. Nothing thrills me more than seeing what results from my yearly crop of seedlings. Here are the 2008 crop in 2010.

CIMG0459.jpg

CIMG0461.jpg

Sadly my ability to germinate new seedlings far outstrips the room that I have to grow them out.

Dennis

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And they are lovely.

My patch of earth succumbed to disturbance from ladders,ivy removal,fence reconstruction,planters full of poppies and Tortoise weeds,spent soil from growbags,the compost heap overspill,shade from courgettes,possible mouse and bird foraging,slugs and snails,fungus,bacteria.

Your patch looks a lot more authentic.

One of my forest in a pot strayed too close to the lawn edge and looks to have been strimmed.

And my 2009 Japanese Black pines look suspiciously like Abies Concolor 'Swifts Silver'.

There is a technique for Acer reduction,i see it earlier in the year,a cone former is wrapped with multiple saplings and grown on from there.

Space saving and thrifty.

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread has been so much fun to read - and re-read.
Tom - I'm still giggling about your spilled coffee. Love your posts.

To everyone Thanx! ! and have a great Thanxgiving. :p

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
dcartier - I love the maples! It is very difficult to grow them from seed down here in Southern California... but I have managed a couple of runted specimens. They are now 5 years old about and 5" tall :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You need to explain "poncing". Is that prancing about with your hands flying willy nilly in the air like a clown?

Sorry Smoke, I couldn't resist a bit of dyslexic creative editing of your post to high light the actions of the original poster when given opportunity to post something useful defaulted to his usual -----well I don't know what you would call it if not condescension.

Poncing is not "prancing about with your hands flying will nilly in the air like a clown" as you have suggested but more like prancing about willy nilly like a clown with your hands in your fly.

Goon Salo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
who is this willy nilly fellow i keep hearing about?

Sorry Smoke, I couldn't resist a bit of dyslexic creative editing of your post to high light the actions of the original poster when given opportunity to post something useful defaulted to his usual -----well I don't know what you would call it if not condescension.

Poncing is not "prancing about with your hands flying will nilly in the air like a clown" as you have suggested but more like prancing about willy nilly like a clown with your hands in your fly.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Thanks for the clarification. I thought that was called "punting".

Top Bottom