Free Juniper

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this one free from the manager because it was covered with spiderwebs and debris and it just didn't look good. I got rid of the spider, cleaned it up and it is actually quite healthy now. just a bit of winter coloring. The trunk used to be straight as an arrow, but I'm working on it with that ugly guy wire system. I don't think this will ever become anything decent, but there's nothing to lose so I'm doing it. All the branching is grafted and comes from the very top.

Juniper 1.jpg

Last edited:

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's something about having a tree that you have "nothing to lose" on. I have a few that I'm grafting. If they take, great. If they don't, compost. It's liberating and a great way to learn. Good Luck....you have nothing to lose.:cool: :cool:

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Might be worth trying some trunk bending techniques with rebar. Could also be a great learning tree for grafting. Someone will be happy with it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree that there is plenty to be learned here, how flexible is that trunk? I would give the bending a try. Sure seems healthy!

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If'n you ain't got nuttin' to lose and all the branching is at the top anyway....

Wrap the whole trunk with raffia, wrap it real tight, then wrap with electrical tape.

Wire it with the biggest copper wire you got. Double wrap it. Then bend the shiz-nit out
of that trunk. It wil bend.... Then you can use your guy wires on the wires you just wired
the trunk with, if needed.

Now you will be putting some movement in that trunk.

Like you said, free tree, what do you have to lose, right?

Top Bottom