French Maple #5

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Never even heard of this species.

No wonder, this is a Croatian maple! 😄

I don't know, maybe it's called "Fransösicher Ahorn" in Germany, but in French it's "érable de Montpellier", and in English "Montpellier maple", often spelled "Montpelier maple" because of the capital of Vermont. Montpellier is in France, the tree is well distributed all around the Mediterranean area, and even the Atlantic coast, up to Nantes. But the name is reducing, like "scots pine" that grows in many places outside Scotland, or "English oak"...

That being said, Acer monspessulanum can live in colder climates, like the one in my garden (zone 8) that is kept at about 2,50 metres and when trimmed, I get stakes 2 m. tall.

When potted, it takes a looong time to develop, and I've almost given up on the small ones I greww from seeds collected in Périgord or in Ardèche.

A very nice collected tree you got here.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Beautiful. I don't often see deadwood features on maples. Does the deadwood need to be treated differently than say on pines?

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
Wow - I love your style and this tree ;)

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Amazing tree! This is the fist time I have ever heard of a French Maple. I looks like great material, but maybe it’s just your skill making it so great. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom