Fuchsia appreciation thread?

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Looks amazing! Good find! Nice trunk! Hope mine will grow good this year. It's still in it's small pot, but it rooted trough the drainage holes into a other pot. So at this moment it is taking off in growth!
I only protected this fuchia one week with frost of -10 /-15. All other nights with frost it was outside.

Same here. My dad grew them when i was young. When he died, i started growing them myself as a sort of reminder of him.
Oh good to know yours did well over winter! I've just seen that they can be fussy, think @AJL said so, and the seller I got mine from stated it too. I do have an unheated garage I can use.

Ah that's lovely, what a great way to remember him 😊 I just find them beautiful, and they're so readily available here in the UK!

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks! Yeah I think it's got great potential, and already looking fairly tree-like. It's pretty tiny - 11cm apparently (assuming that doesn't include the pot but who knows). I just hope they're not too fussy with the weird UK spring weather. Definitely need to look into winter protection. Cheers for the links - will have a look now!
I would also be careful the hardy ones in the ground in my garden get top kill in the bad winters and come back from the roots. For bonsai I would keep them in a cold frame or cold greenhouse during the worst weather

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I would also be careful the hardy ones in the ground in my garden get top kill in the bad winters and come back from the roots. For bonsai I would keep them in a cold frame or cold greenhouse during the worst weather
Good thought...I do have one that I'm not sure survived the winter. Yeah I think a cold frame will need to be purchased this year - don't really have the space for a greenhouse

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Little bit of pruning on the Microphylla...Reduced branches/shoots to two in most places (probably missed some).

That was difficult! The leaves and branches are so tiny, accidentally cut off one of the only two flower buds 🤦🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• 20210612_135201.jpg
    20210612_135201.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 27

rorror

Yamadori
Reaction score
Tought i show my Microphylla again.
After winter and in spring, i protected it still a bit on the soil in a other pot. It grew roots trough the drainage holes and is now stuck. Anyway it gained vigor alot, two nice upgrowing branches. I will leave it there until next winter. So it can grow tickness. Also want some cuttingS for in the garden as well, as i want a big bush of this plant. It is flowering so bravely.
Its get only morning sun directly until 13:00hous, then its in shade of a 'yamadori' hawthorn.
DSC_0394.JPG
@Clorgan give your micro some magnesium, as that will green up the leaves a bit more. Darker green leavea mean more photosyntesys, so more energy to grow. Did you save your cuttings, to make new plants? Just stick them in a glass of water and within two weeks it should have roots.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Tought i show my Microphylla again.
After winter and in spring, i protected it still a bit on the soil in a other pot. It grew roots trough the drainage holes and is now stuck. Anyway it gained vigor alot, two nice upgrowing branches. I will leave it there until next winter. So it can grow tickness. Also want some cuttingS for in the garden as well, as i want a big bush of this plant. It is flowering so bravely.
Its get only morning sun directly until 13:00hous, then its in shade of a 'yamadori' hawthorn.
View attachment 380290
@Clorgan give your micro some magnesium, as that will green up the leaves a bit more. Darker green leavea mean more photosyntesys, so more energy to grow. Did you save your cuttings, to make new plants? Just stick them in a glass of water and within two weeks it should have roots.
Looking good! So many flowers on yours, really lovely. Could mine not currently having any flowers be related to the paler leaves? Will look into magnesium, cheers for the tip 👌 I'm guessing it's an additional supplement?

Edit - I didn't take cuttings as I have this one I plan on using for some!

Attachments

• 20210605_124805.jpg
    20210605_124805.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 30

rorror

Yamadori
Reaction score
I use currently universal 18-18-18+all micro nutrients. Less then 1/8 of a dose that is written on the package. But with every watering. (except extreme hot days, then only water, as firtilizing on hot days will prevent the plant from taking up lots of water, firtilizer salts slow down water up take.) I use 'Epson Salt' for magnesium. You can buy that at the farmacy, non purfumed. Very cheap. Epson salt you can use for watering, or as a foillage spray. I use it on all my plants when there showing signs of yellowing in the top (lower and older leaves yellowing first is nitrogen issue)

rorror

Yamadori
Reaction score
This is a normal winterhardy fuchsia, from a cutting of 5cm from last year. Need some years to be called a bonsai. But i like it, flowers al summer. Started to flower two weeks back. A bit in the shade of the spruce after 13:00hours.

DSC_0399.JPG

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I use currently universal 18-18-18+all micro nutrients. Less then 1/8 of a dose that is written on the package. But with every watering. (except extreme hot days, then only water, as firtilizing on hot days will prevent the plant from taking up lots of water, firtilizer salts slow down water up take.) I use 'Epson Salt' for magnesium. You can buy that at the farmacy, non purfumed. Very cheap. Epson salt you can use for watering, or as a foillage spray. I use it on all my plants when there showing signs of yellowing in the top (lower and older leaves yellowing first is nitrogen issue)
Great info, thanks will look into it!

rorror

Yamadori
Reaction score
My non hardy and non bonsai fuchia's are starting to bloom. Always very impressive how they recover after 4 to 5 months in a dark basement. I got this one for about 5 years now.

DSC_0425.JPG

The bottoms onces are about one or two weeks away from blooming.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Damn! Apparently I have been sleeping on an awesome genus for bonsai. I'll see if I can't find a hardy fuchsia this summer. They have some great characteristics
I love them! Delta's Sara and Dollar Princess have rather large flowers, but magellanica flowers are pretty small - much better suited for bonsai 😊 and all the other great examples posted by others on here!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The first two are gorgeous! They're all pretty, but I've never seen ones like the first two.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'll see if I can't find a hardy fuchsia this summer.
Good luck, they are sold as annuals here. I am going to see if I can keep one alive under the lights this winter though.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good luck, they are sold as annuals here.
Thanks, I wouldn't normally mess with something outside of my range but my backyard is south facing and always a handful of degrees warmer than the weather report, plus it has a south facing detached garage that winds up warmer than I want in the winter. My trees are awake and growing by April 5th or so and usually don't show much fall color until early/mid November. I'm starting to think of my yard as more like a Maryland zone 7

Top Bottom